New Puppies-help please

Old 09-17-2013, 01:03 AM

They make potty pads for indoors.My vet said put them closer and closer to the door you want them to go out to go to the bathroom.Also there is a spray to get them to go where you want to and where you don't. This was very successful when we trained our dog
They are very cute.Give them a nice foxy box or dog bed where they can snuggle when you cant. Congratulations.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:34 AM
Evy

Thanks everyone for the advice. The girls slept until after 5 this morning so that parts going well. The housebreaking is an ongoing battle. I've never seen dogs tinkle as much as these little gals! We go outside and make it most of the time. It's just when they are awake I have to watch them constantly. If they're moving they're looking for a place to tinkle. I have the pee pads but getting them to stay on them long enough to go is the challenge. Once I let them out of the crate in the morning, it's chaos. These tiny dogs can really move fast. I love them already so it's just a case of keeping the carpet cleaner and air deodorizer handy. All of the floors are hardwood except for an area under the pool table that is carpet tiles and naturally the carpet is where they want to go. Luckily when we put down the carpet we had a lot of tiles left over. We'll probably be using them when the housebreaking is over. I do know it's tough to crawl under the pool table because they go right to the center. Cleaning up piddle or worse with puppies attacking your feet while you're lying on the floor is a bit tricky. I love the idea of a pouch for carrying them. I was going to look for either an apron or just the top to a set of scrubs to carry them in. I know when I had my other Chihuahua and had to board him at the vets the girls there carried him in their pockets. Thanks again. I'm hoping this won't take forever. hubby had to leave for a 60 day work assignment and I'm hoping that by the time he gets back the girls will be perfectly behaved. Dream on right?
Old 09-17-2013, 05:59 AM

Evy, put a clear shower curtain or clear plastic by the yard under the pool table. This way you will only have to clean that up while you are fighting the battle.
Tink is ready to come and help if you need her...I can pack her bag really quick. She doesn't eat much...and she loves puppies. (that's her highness in my avatar)
Old 09-17-2013, 06:18 AM

When I got my mini-schnauzer I bought a 4'x6' piece of plywood and covered it with 12" square linoleum tiles. I had a small black wire dog crate and put it on the fake floor. The crate had two doors, one leading out onto the fake floor and the other exit to the kitchen floor.

Next I attached one of end of the wire playpen to the crate and tacked it down to the plywood floor with white _^_ hooks used to support wire shelves. Then I attached the other end of the playpen to the other side of the crate but enclosing one of the doors leading to the fake floor area. This way she could get up and walk around from her 'bed' and play with toys in her inside playyard. She never soiled in her bed in the crate and had a little playground in the house that didn't ruin my real floor. **Just to be safe, I also laid on top my real floor and under the plywood, a plastic shower curtain to protect my good floor from scratches from the plywood.**

If she had an accident on the fake floor-no problem, just wipe it up and take her outside and let her run in the fenced yard. She learned quickly that her bed and inside playyard were not the 'potty'. I scheduled a vacation week off work and dedicated it to housetraining her. I would take her outside about as often as I'd change a new baby's diapers....about 10 times a day and always gave her a piece of boiled chicken as a treat for going potty outside!! The crate/playpen area kept her safe and out of trouble while in the house while she was in learning mode for her potty training. It took about 2 weeks to get her housebroken. She goes to the door now whenever she needs to go outside to potty.

Originally Posted by jrhboxers View Post
You might want to look at buying a dog play pen for when they go outside to potty.
This is the type that I am talking about -
http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Trex-Premi...217781-3550230
- this is just panels that connect together to make a small fenced in yard.
At 24" tall, you will never have to have anything higher with them being so little.

They will quickly learn that when they are outside in 'their' yard, they are supposed to potty.
When they are older, you can have them out with you in the yard, when they know to come and other commands. Then you will have better control of them. With the fenced in playpen, you won't have to worry so much about the wildlife in the area. We lived on the outskirts of the Great Dismal Swamp, and when we had our French Bulldog, we had to worry about bobcats, bear, hawks and eagles. Even full grown and 17lbs., there was still the dangers to deal with.

You should probably get them a small crate to be their 'den'. Dogs deal with things better when they have a safe place to go to when things (noise, activity, etc.) gets too be too much and they retreat to their bed. If you get a place carrier with the door on it, leave the door open during the day and then tell them to go to bed at night and close the door.

Rest assured, if you start working on a routine with them, they will quickly learn. When I foster pups, they are supervised and go out at least every 2 hours, if not more. You may want to start with newspapers on a tile floor for accidents. But the sooner you set a routine, the better.

Good luck. And know that for every ounce of love, and second of time you invest in them, will be returned 10 fold. Just love them, which I know they will.

Last edited by Stitch124; 09-17-2013 at 06:29 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:01 AM

Congrats!!! they are adorable and I would taken them both also. Like you, I haven't had a puppy in many years, last two dogs were rescues, only took one day to show them where they go. Good Luck!!
Old 09-17-2013, 08:32 AM

Congrads on your new family additions. Potty training is time consuming, but it all works out in the end!
Old 09-17-2013, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

Those puppies are adorable. We have a Yorkie mix that we rescued. She was a year old when we got her. She is one feisty little girl. She got the hang of going outside just find, but would go at night on rugs. We got some puppy pads, and I one time put her pooh on it, and from then on she goes on it at night. They are all so worth it. They give back so much love to their family.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:41 AM

We trained our tiny Pom on Puppy pads. She never misses and it is easy to clean up. We don't have to go outside in the snow and rain either.

This entailed a week of us putting her on the pad and kept sayng "go pottie, go pottie". When she tried to get off the pad, we put her back on until she went, and then we praised her and made a big deal and let her go off and do what she wanted. Rinse, repeat. By the time the week ended, she was running to go to the pad when she had to go, we praised and sang the "good pottie song" and she was trained. Never had a problem since.

The fun thing about our little Pom is that everytime she was "good" on the pottie pad, we made a big deal about it and sang a silly song for her. Two years later, she still expects the "Good Pottie" song and will spin in circles and jump all around after she does it to make sure to get our attention and say "I did it!".

Always use the harness leash. Small dogs have a soft, flexible trachea, and because of that, pulling on a collar around the neck could crush their throats and cause problems. The bigger dogs, their trachea is harder cartlidge so not a problem.

Also, make sure you put a sweater on the lil pups when going outside in the winter. Because of their small size, they don't have enough body fat to keep themselves warm. So sweater on if going to be outside for a bit.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]436502[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bella.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	305.7 KB
ID:	436502  

Last edited by Bethshaya; 09-17-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

One day I got a call from DH to check my e-mail. There was this photo of a fur baby named Brutus. He was 4.5 months old and only weighed about that much. After questioning who this baby belonged to hoping some one else, I truly realized DH adopted/rescued him. DH saw Brutus thrown from the back window of a car going down a heavily traveled (semis and dump trucks) industrial road. It was almost day's end. So after work, I headed over to pet smart an got housekeeping and supplies for our new addition. Collar and leash, couple chew toys, crate, food and water bowls. As soon as DH got home with the little guy (he was not allowed in the house yet) he was dressed with his collar and leash and immediately walked to his business part of the backyard. He had a lot of business to take care of and didn't seem to mind the leash. When we thought he was done we brought the 2 girls out for an introduction in the front yard. They are never allowed in the front off leash. So this is the neutral/ introductory area. They played an socialized for about 15- 20 minutes. We gradually took them to the backyard and they did well. Then we took them inside. Got him all settled and fed them all while they were in there kennels. He had a couple accidents but was immediately put on leash and taken outside. He thinks he's alpha male. We've had him since "08". Crate training is the best and easiest. Since he was still a pup he had plenty of chew toys. Couple years ago Brutus was frightened by a Turkey buzzard. I saw what happened. It came in the backyard (the other 2 were there also) and swooped down almost getting him but Bianca the largest actually fended the bird away from him. She almost got hold of the bird. He goes to the backyard to do his business still but if he sees a large bird he gets very close to the fence and so does the girls. Get them used to collar and leash. You can make it out of scrap material for pups like yours. Let them also get used to a leash by letting them drag it around the house.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:22 AM

Didn't read the replies but...I think crating works well for housebreaking. And when they go outside, praise them like they just split the atom. And give treats for going potty outside (and eventually don't give treats every time once they start being consistent). I would not recommend pee pads-I've read articles by experts that say they confuse more than anything. But I've never owned small breed dogs.

As for the leash-they will have to get used to them. A harness might be easier on little ones. Eventually they will quit fighting the leash.