New Puppies-help please

Old 09-18-2013, 05:52 AM

Having trained dogs for obedience and conformation the most important thing is repeating over and over...when potty training, and they have an accident in the house, use a paper towel to clean it up, let them smell it, tell them no and then take them out and tell them to pee pee/or poop outside....usually takes me one weekend with this routine and they are good to go. As for nights if you don't have a crate I always just used the bathroom where an accident was easy to clean up. Put down a nice soft warm towel or baby blanket so their toenails don't get caught to sleep on.. the little plastic crate thingy from Walmart is a good idea, and the pet playpen is as well.A harness is best for small dogs, less trama and easy to just hook them up to take them out. Good luck and they are the lucky little babies to have found someone that will care and love them so much.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:31 AM

We got a 4 week old Cairn Terrier...we have had pups before, so training was not hard. Every time you feed them, or they drink water...tell them it's potty time (we used wee-poo time)...take them out and watch them closely...call them back to you (something you can practice in the house).
We have hawks also...one even tried to swoop down on Saralee....hubby snatched her up when I yelled. That hawk waited on the telephone pole for hours.
We put out a 2ft high chicken wire (temporary) fenced area by our back door (easy for us to step over)...and ran mylar ribbon in a grid...it reflects and keeps the hawk(s) away...other critters also.

Saralee learned that if she ate or drank...it was time to go out. She is three, going on four now...and SHE taught our lab pup to not go in the house. Elvis has never had an accident in the house. Saralee used to come wake us (has a shrill whine)...but now, she sends Elvis in...and he is silent...just lays his head on our arm...if we don't wake...we get his front paws also...he is 85 lbs...and trust me, you wake up. We find Saralee waiting at the door. Your pups are smarter than you think...and it's not that hard to train them.

Originally Posted by Evy View Post
I am well into my 60s and have never had a puppy. All of my dogs have been older rescue dogs. We now have 2 eight week old Chihuahua puppies. Technically, not rescued but we got them from an ad on line, from a guy who got 3 of them from "an old man who couldn't take care of them, but thought maybe they had some shots". When we went to see them, I fell in love. I had to put my Chi down 2 years ago after 9 years and still miss him. I didn't have the heart to break up sisters, someone had already taken the third one or we probably would have all three. We got them last Thursday, Friday they went to the vet for shots and de-flea-ing. They were loaded with fleas. Now what to do with them? They are pretty good at night in fact slept until 4:15 this morning, so no complaints there. We're trying to housebreak them to go outside. Not working well! We live in the country so worry about hawks swooping down on them. I tried putting them on leashes, but they hate them and I think even though we have the lightest leashes we could find, they are just too heavy. Naturally they go in opposite directions when they're free How long does it take to housebreak and suggestions on anything else would be more than welcome. also, what do you do about them crying to be held? Holding is wonderful, I love it, but can't do it the whole time they are awake!
Old 09-18-2013, 08:29 AM

Cute companions! Have fun training the little goobers.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:34 AM

The vet told my sister that when training with treats for going potty, giving them a treat as they come in the door is too late. You have to give it immediately so they'll make the connection.

Have fun, they are CUTE!
Old 09-18-2013, 01:48 PM

They are precious!! What are their names???
Old 09-18-2013, 02:38 PM
Evy

Karen, the little black one is Lucy and the brown one is Bess. My hubby named her Brown Bess, like the old civil war musket! they are totally opposite personalities. Lucy is more aggressive and Bess just wants to cuddle. I ordered mesh harnesses and lightweight leashes and hopefully they'll do better without the heavy leashes and hardware weighing them down. They must be leashed because they are really quick and our yard is so uneven that if they started rolling they would go all the way down the hill before I caught up with them. Since you're from about the same area in KY as we are, I'm sure you can relate. And of course, they never ever go off in the same direction!
Old 09-18-2013, 03:56 PM

way too cute. I would of taken them all too!
Puppies are full of energy. It had been 9 yrs since I had a puppy. Wow, I had forgotten so much.

One of the things I forgot was to "confine" the puppy. then bring the puppy out to play and potty time. Use a box, crate, baby gate. This guys are little so a deep box with some towels would work. The concept is let them snuggle in a confined area, when they wake, take them outside. I called it the "2 minute pee". then bring them in to play and socialize. You are going to love the lap warmers.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:09 PM
Power Poster

They are adorable...Love puppies. I would put them in a small fenced area until they get big enough to be safe. I used a kennel to house break my Schnauzers. A dog does not like to have a mess where they sleep. Of course you have to put them out often during the day, always to the same spot. I had my Schnauzers house broke in about four weeks. It was so easy doing it by kennel training them...Good Luck..they are beautiful....
Old 09-18-2013, 06:54 PM

They are adorable. I have 2 chihuahua's and a poodle and a mixed lab. The chi's like to sleep on the couch under some pillows or blankets during the day . the smallest one smokie (31/2 lbs) 1 yr old, if i sit down has to be in my lap or arms. he was easy to train, but i had his mom and the poodle to help. at night they both sleep in the bed in the pillows at the head of the bed(we have an old waterbed frame and pillows in it for them. they always want to be under cover or near someone. we cannot let them out by themselves either as we live in the country in ms and have hawks and coyotes also. I'm trying to figure out how to make a sling or something to put him in as he , always wants to be held. I also am in my 60's , but i wouldn't give them up for anything. The one in the picture is smokie , sitting on a pillow by my computer, as he has to be near me. good luck u will just love them.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:57 PM

The picture of smokie didn't upload,and i don't know why. my avitar is binki whom passed and was part whippet and husky. how can i upload the picture from my computer?