Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cats & Quilts Question >

Cats & Quilts Question

Cats & Quilts Question

Old 09-23-2013, 06:36 AM

Hi. I also have cats and I use 2" masking tape to take the hair off material. Blessings, Judy.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

I do not allow any of my furkids in either of my sewing rooms. thankfully they are both bedrooms with a door that can be shut. The LA room goes without saying as I have client quilts in there. Any breach is shortlived and said feline is unceremoniously ushered out immediately (much to their disgust!). That door is always closed.

My regular sewing room is also my guest room so again, don't want it full of cat hair. But not only that, there is way too many things that are dangerous to a cat, especially thread. If they ingest thread it could be fatal and will result in a costly surgery. Luckily, none of my current crew has any interest but why take a chance on something that is easily preventable.

When I bind or hand quilt, I am in the living room and the WIP is full of cat hair in no time flat. My manager of quality control insists on sleeping on my lap under the WIP while I am working on it. (of course, how else could he ensure that said WIP is up to his high standards of quilty comfort?) I have used the following and they all work well:
A damp washcloth
A rubber glove or gardening glove with the little rubber knubs all over it
Sticky tape roller
Velvet brush
These I use for WIPS and the project gets swiped with every sewing session. But once the quilt is completed I lay it out on my kitchen table or better yet bring it to work and lay out on the conference room table and use contact paper, the kind you use to line shelves with. I use a big piece of it, lay it out on the quilt, rub it and lift. Usually it is ineffective after the second lift, then a new piece is needed. I cover a lot of surface area at a time with contact paper and it is more cost effective than the sticky tape rollers.

I have also heard tossing in the dryer with a damp towel removes quite a bit as well.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:54 AM

sellotape wrapped round your hand, sticky side out works very well too if you don't have a lint roller to hand
Old 09-23-2013, 07:03 AM

I have 2 kitties that prefer to sleep on the quilt that is rolled on the long-arm frames. They leave dents! I know a cat will never sleep on aluminum foil but that was quite a large surface. I purchased a survival blanket (lightweight silver looking blanket) from the camping gear part of the store and lay it over the quilt-in-frame. I have another that I lay over my piled-high-with-fabric cutting table. Kitties stay away.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:56 AM

Cat hair is the least of my worries, it is removable, my dear cat Daisy has a fetish for my bobbin box! I came home from work one day and she had played soccer with all of my bobbins and then fell asleep in a beautiful nest of colored threads! She was so tangled up in it I don't know how she didn't strangle herself! Bobbin box is now in a drawer not on the shelf. LOL
Old 09-23-2013, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

Use a lint roller! Like masking tape on a roll! After that just toss it into your dryer without a sheet! After that clean your dryer free of the lint. You can put your dryer on low heat or air fluff. I do that with the dog blankets. I do try to give them a good shaking outdoors before the roller and dryer!
Old 09-23-2013, 08:25 AM

I call my Chloe my "quilty kitty"!
Old 09-23-2013, 08:54 AM

I had an oversize king quilt on my bed. I have 2 long hair cats that spend their days on the bed. I wanted to wash the quilt but knew that wouldn't get the hair off. I tried the sponge and it did work but my hands got really tired. I bought a medium size squeege with a short handle. I took off the net covering from the sponge part. It was much easier to drag the squeegee across the quilt since it had a handle. I got my quilt pretty clean of cat hair.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:56 AM

My cat would climb it, can also jump that high, he has to go outside, actually he hasn't been in since grandbaby was born.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:47 AM

I could get the cat hair off but after "PussKnees" slept in the same spot several times his weight caused a sag; in addition to the old sheet I had to lay some large pieces of cardboard atop to discourage cat napping.