Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone ever bought this machine?? Go or no Go??? >

Has anyone ever bought this machine?? Go or no Go???

Has anyone ever bought this machine?? Go or no Go???

Old 10-05-2013, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
Buy her the Hello Kitty she wants. Sometimes what is the best choice doesn't have to be the most sensible choice.
hmmm...I think you are right...if she was out like other girls having fun $120 or whatever of the machine won't do much for fun these days...right???

Thanks
Old 10-05-2013, 11:20 PM

Take her to shop and let her try this machine and some others and let her decide which machine is her! When I was 14 I wanted a machine that was better than my mums old singer (my mum was more of a knitter than a sewer) my dad got me a Frister & rossman which was about £350 at the time (1975) a lot of money prob bout $500,I used this machine constantly even started my wedding dress business with it, until I could afford to upgrade it, which again good old dad helped with. I say go for it and encourage her the way my parents did me, who knows where it will take her.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:51 AM

I am a Janome girl, I have a few of the $100 models (none Hello Kitty) that I use to teach girls how to quilt and they are really good little machine--each girl has made a quilt from beginning to end with it, SID quilting. I think you both would be happy with a Janome. If you can sway her to a white one just tell a machine can be personalized with stickers, paint pens, crystals and I am sure a ton of other things to make it cute and hers. Even my long arm has purple swirls on it to let the "me" shine on ;-)
Happy Sewing
T
Old 10-06-2013, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Charming View Post
My daughter loves having quilts but doesn't like making them but she wants to learn sewing, mainly clothing. God know I am not lacking machines but she wants a cute machine...sigh
So she asked me if I would buy her a Hello kitty machine (did I mention she is 17???) lol

I looked online and I came up with 3-4 Janome Hello kitty machines and she likes this one:

Janome 11706 3/4 Size Hello Kitty Sewing Machine

The rating is very good on Amazon but I would still like to get an opinion from my great fellow quilters. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and happy quilting
if she has an interest in sewing, definitely foster that interest! But before buying that Hello Kitty, have her check out Claire Rawley's YouTube videos on painting sewing machines. That might grab her interest more than a Hello Kitty, and would then allow the two of you to visit some sewing machine stores to look for used machines that might be able to do more as her interest grows. And even if she sews for a little while and then moves on to something else, she may turn back to sewing later, just like a lot of us did.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:33 AM

Several people in my quilt group are now buying this machine for taking to workshops. It is bare bones, no needle down or thread cutter but the stitch is reliable and it is easy to use. The cost is right also.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:58 AM

If it were me, I'd get her a full sized machine and then buy some Hello Kitty decals. This way if and when she no longer wants Hello Kitty on her machine she could just take the decals off

You can get a Brother 6000i sewing machine with a lot more bells and whistles plus an extension table for less.
I know several people who have gotten this machine and are happy with it for beginning sewing/quilting. Add a package of decals, bam. You are good to go.
I think I heard that this machine is being discontinued, so if you want it, get it while the getting's good I'm sure Brother has already released the machine to replace this model, but it's being marked down now. It used to be a bit more online. Walmart.com is now sold out of it but there are still some left on Amazon - free shipping and no tax (depending on where you live) http://www.amazon.com/Brother-Featur.../dp/B000JQM1DE
Old 10-06-2013, 04:08 AM

I've read several blogger/sewist who have the Janome Hello Kitty machine and say it's a great machine that does everything they need. I don't think it has the needle up/down function, however, and that would be a deal breaker for me, since I like to FMQ. Just saw an offer on Superior Threads newsletter for this machine for $219.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:21 AM

When my daughter was 12 she wanted to learn to quilt. She went to a quilt camp and was hooked! I bought her a used Bernia for $450.00 She turned 34 last week and uses that machine constantly including making a quilt for each of her seven bridesmaids. I wanted to buy her a new machine and she said "no way" She is very good about having it serviced regularily and has never had any problems. A dear friend said to me when I told her about getting the mahine she said" you have started her on a lifelong hobby."
Old 10-06-2013, 06:23 AM

I just bought the brother 6000i for $134 at Wal-Mart. Love it!
Old 10-06-2013, 07:57 AM

Wow thank you all ladies. Your comments are greatly appreciated :-)