Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt over Embroidery? >

Quilt over Embroidery?

Quilt over Embroidery?

Old 10-08-2013, 02:38 PM

Default Quilt over Embroidery?

I have been embroidering a quilt top for three years now. I am planning on quilting it with the basic square or diamond design (not sure what it is called but it creates connected diamond shapes). Do I quilt across my embroidery threads or up to the shape? The pattern was pre-stamped with where to embroidery and where to quilt. This is a one piece tree with flowers. It is a king size quilting the tree and flowers covers most of the quilt. Any suggestions on the quilting?
Old 10-09-2013, 02:02 PM

I wouldn't quilt over the handwork.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:28 PM
Power Poster

I usual quilt around the embroidery motifs about 1/8 inch out from the stitching. If it is one large motif in the center, you may need to quilt in around the branches too so you don't have too big a space with no quilting. The squares in the background is called cross hatching.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:50 PM

I have done both ways. I have stopped quilting just before the embroidery, but I have also quilted over the embroidery - - I used the invisible thread and it disappeared on the pattern. The embroidery section was too large to not quilt at all.. I was afraid that I wouldn't like it without quilting. I was happy with how the invisible thread quilting turned out. BUT I can understand that not every embroidery motif would work well with quilting
Old 10-09-2013, 03:56 PM

My embroidery is right in the center with edging along the borders. I will evaluate if I can quilt around the flowered tree. I like the idea of the invisible thread too. Thank you for telling me the name of the stitch too! I am a ways from completing the project. I will be sure to post it when I get it ready to quilt.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:57 PM
Power Poster

you could echo
Old 10-09-2013, 04:50 PM

I just finished a red work quilt and a friend who does professional quilting suggested that I quilt it over the embroidery using Superior's Bottom Line thread. It is very fine and white like the background fabric. I used it on the top and in the bobbin. I also used diagonal lines (about 3" apart) that looked like diamonds. I think it came out great and the people who looked at it close thought so too.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:38 PM

I took my quilt apart because I didn't want the embroidered blocks to be quilted over. I left it in strips and quilted the 9 patch blocks but the embroidered blocks I stitched 1/4 inch inside the seams. Quilting as you go but do not have it all done yet. Will turn under the backing and will stitch in the ditch to hold the backing in place. I hope it will turn out like I visualize it to be. Good luck with your.