Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Top Tips for a New Quilter... what would you tell a newbie? >

Top Tips for a New Quilter... what would you tell a newbie?

Top Tips for a New Quilter... what would you tell a newbie?

Old 10-10-2013, 08:41 AM
RST

The newbie issues I see most often include:

taking on too challenging a project as the first one
selecting fabrics with no contrast or conversely, too much busy fabric
unpressed fabrics before cutting leading to poor and inaccurate cuts
improper cutting techniques, ragged edges, slipping rulers, etc
inconsistent seam allowances
failure to press seams at all, or poorly pressed and distorted
lack of thought given to how the piece will be quilted (or unrealistic ideals incompatible with skill level)
wrinkly batting and backing not resolved before quilting
god-awful bindings

I've made each and every one of those mistakes, and many of them for far more years than I should have. I still really enjoyed my flawed quilts, and usually people were appreciative of them, wonky bits and all.

I guess I'm with the school of thought that it's probably best to let her dive in, make some mistakes and see what can go wrong. If she wants input on how to fix or perfect something, you can show her the expert methods.

Of course, a lot depends on her personality-- if she's a perfectionist, she may want to know the exact right way to do everything from the get-go. Why not print out this thread and let her read over it? She can let you know how she'd like to proceed, and you get to know her better, without stressing either of you out with expectations of each other that don't match.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:23 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
I'm going to be a bit of a hiney hole here-------------------------Let her sew, the best she can. Let her put pieces together, the best she can, Let her arrive at something tangible ASAP. I'd be afraid of her running for the hills if you go for much quality.
I agree with this. I would also tell her about the machine like Cathyvv expressed

"This is an exciting moment for you and for her! I'd be a bundle of nerves!

list I've kind of used with my grands:

1) How to thread the sewing machine. Made the grands feel very competent and gave them an early success.

2) Bobbin insertion/winding

3) Sample straight stitching where you show her tension/out of tension stitching.

This will give her an idea of when to ask you about a tension problem.

4) Guiding fabric, protecting your fingers.

Safety first!

Remind her not to watch the needle go up and down while sewing! For straight stitches, it doesn't go anywhere but up and down! It took me several years to realize that I was watching the needle instead of guiding the fabric...

5) Mistakes happen, thus, the importance of owning a seam ripper.

There is no 'undo' button on any sewing machine! A seam ripper is like the pencil on an eraser - there to help you fix mistakes. Right now I have at least 5 well used seam rippers at my various sewing spots.

Safety! A seam ripper is a SHARP instrument and, can, indeed, poke your eye out. This is not idle or humorous advice, it's the truth; I grazed my right eyebrow.

6) Cutting: Stress safety.

Measure twice, cut once. If it were me, I'd just have her cut some scraps until she gets the hang of cutting. Cutting mistakes can be, shall we say, discouraging. (for safety reasons, i don't let my grands cut fabric.)

Mostly, you will have to be patient. Enjoy!"

if she enjoys the first little session and wants to carry on with a bigger project then take her to your LQS and explain fabrics there when she starts selecting her fabrics. Suggest computer sites she could look at. Buy her a book on the basics of quilting. Nothing too complicated as it will overwhelm her. This will help her learn the language and other things you might forget to tell her. It could lead to questions from her.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:31 PM

Me, too. I prefer using sheets for backing as they are always wide enough that I don't have to piece the backing.

I'm not above using an old blanket for batting, either, especially if the quilt will be used in a cold climate.

Fleece makes a good batting, too. I use the thinnest fleece available at Walmart for baby quilts. The fleece is lightweight, so will be easier for a little one to drag around and love to tatters - that is my goal for every baby quilt I make.

Thicker fleece is also good to use for batting.