Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Top Tips for a New Quilter... what would you tell a newbie? >

Top Tips for a New Quilter... what would you tell a newbie?

Top Tips for a New Quilter... what would you tell a newbie?

Old 10-06-2013, 07:39 PM
Eri

Default Top Tips for a New Quilter... what would you tell a newbie?

I'm going to be teaching my son's girlfriend to cut and piece a small quilt this week... she's never even touched a sewing machine before. I don't want to overwhelm her with tons of information all at once, but obviously she needs the basics... things many of us take for granted after a while.

If you were going to teach a complete newbie to cut and machine piece (we're going to hold off on actually quilting the sandwich for now!), what are some top tips you'd give? I'm hoping to make her a brief, introductory "top-ten" cheat-sheet with the wisdom of those who have been there.

Thanks!
Old 10-06-2013, 08:05 PM

First, introduce her to the machine and all the working parts. Teach her what the hand wheel can do, proper way to load the bobbin, how to take the bobbin and bobbin case out and look inside the lower end for fluff, how to tell the front from the back of the needle ... and why they are shaped the way they are, what the tensioner does ... and doesn't do if the presser foot isn't down, show her how the feed dogs move, show her just a few different presser feet and why they are different and what they may be used for, and of course how to wind a bobbin and thread the machine.

Start by having her run the machine without a needle - but with fabric (so she can see/feel the speed). She'll get a good feel for the machine/foot pedal without the fear of "ruining" any fabric and no fear of injury by the needle. It's kind of like driving a car ... when I taught my son how to drive this summer I had him press the gas with the car in park so he could hear/feel the engine rev to know how far to depress the gas. When someone presses the foot pedal for the first time they may freak themselves out if they press it too far down before they're really ready to go.

Fabric ... grain. LOF, WOF and bias. Show her and have her stretch some scrap pieces and tell you which is which. Tell her where we prefer to use LOF, where LOF or WOF doesn't matter, and how to handle pieces where using the bias is unavoidable. If you have them, and are using them ... the difference between certain fabrics (printed quilting cotton, solids, batiks, home spuns, flannels ... etc).

The importance of prepping fabric. Are you a pre-washer? Discuss why, or why not - give her both sides of the coin and let her make an informed decision. Ditto for the starch discussion. Also in the prepping area ... ironing the yardage ... iron with the LOF.

Rotary cutters are SHARP, and the ruler needs to be held firmly in place with fingers out of harms way. I would start her on smaller pieces with smaller rulers (perhaps a 9.5" square) so she can get the feel by planting her entire palm on the ruler to hold it in place. She can work up to the longer narrow ruler that requires changing the position of the hand to make the complete cut.

Make sure she makes at least one mistake sewing so you can introduce her to the seam ripper This way she'll know that if she makes a mistake sewing ... all is not lost!

Straight seams makes the whole job easier. Teach her how to make the seam a consistent size. If pinning the fabric, teach her the proper way to pin so she doesn't hit pins when sewing, and doesn't skew the fabric in the pinning process.

Pressing seams is just as important as sewing the seam straight. Teach her to set the seam first, then press. Discuss pressing to one side vs pressing open.

Most important ... have fun!!
Old 10-06-2013, 08:21 PM

I agree with doghousemom, I would start her out making a pillow slip or apron, so she accomplishes something.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:54 PM

This is an exciting moment for you and for her! I'd be a bundle of nerves!

Short list I've kind of used with my grands:

1) How to thread the sewing machine. Made the grands feel very competent and gave them an early success.

2) Bobbin insertion/winding

3) Sample straight stitching where you show her tension/out of tension stitching.

This will give her an idea of when to ask you about a tension problem.

4) Guiding fabric, protecting your fingers.

Safety first!

Remind her not to watch the needle go up and down while sewing! For straight stitches, it doesn't go anywhere but up and down! It took me several years to realize that I was watching the needle instead of guiding the fabric...

5) Mistakes happen, thus, the importance of owning a seam ripper.

There is no 'undo' button on any sewing machine! A seam ripper is like the pencil on an eraser - there to help you fix mistakes. Right now I have at least 5 well used seam rippers at my various sewing spots.

Safety! A seam ripper is a SHARP instrument and, can, indeed, poke your eye out. This is not idle or humorous advice, it's the truth; I grazed my right eyebrow.

6) Cutting: Stress safety.

Measure twice, cut once. If it were me, I'd just have her cut some scraps until she gets the hang of cutting. Cutting mistakes can be, shall we say, discouraging. (for safety reasons, i don't let my grands cut fabric.)

Mostly, you will have to be patient. Enjoy!
Old 10-06-2013, 10:07 PM

As well as the above, let her help find her own pattern. If she really likes it w he will be more likely to finish it and feel good about the process.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:36 PM

Tell her to enjoy it and put some funky music on. Too many instructions will blow her mind.
Where will she sew later, if only with you then you can do some. My 4 and 10 year old nephews. Picked up using machine quickly after watching a demo showing me the machine. They also managed to sew straight lines and did go slow on their own. Only problem they had after breaking a needle couldn't get it out neither could I. My brother managed with the aid of pliers.
Both can hand sew as well. Just relax and enjoy both of you.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:28 AM
Power Poster

and remember to hold the thread ends when starting the seam! getting in the habit of leaders and enders might help as well. also, remember to put the foot down.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:38 AM

Let her know that personal preference plays a big part in a quilt. Color, size, to wash or not and pressing are all choices only she can make for herself. Nothing is set in stone in quilting. She needs to enjoy what she is working with.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:15 AM

I always tell them its a very expensive hobby.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:26 AM

If your machine has a speed control, set it to the slowest setting, then gradually increase it until she gets used to the machine pulling the fabric through.