Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
walmart sewing machines >

walmart sewing machines

walmart sewing machines

Old 10-11-2013, 10:36 AM

I bought the SQ 9000 over three years ago when they first came out. I had a Project Runway I had bought to make the decorative stitches my Singer 401A couldn't make and got to love sewing on it. When my DD said she would love to have a machine I gave that one to her and went to Walmart and bought the SQ 9000 with the quilting feet. I have made quilts and clothes with it and it has always run like a top. If it went out today it has more than payed for its self and I would not try to fix it I would go buy another at Walmart. I saw the same machine at Hancock's just a little more than I payed for mine.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:41 AM

All of my machines are Brother's and I love them all. I didn't get them from Walmart only because they didn't offer the ones I wanted at the times but if they had I would have purchased it from them.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:16 PM

I have the brother SQ 9500 which I paid $200 for 2 years ago, and for the money it's a great little machine. Never had any trouble at all and it came with a walking foot as well. Also does all those fancy stitches in 7 mm and it stitches them out beautifully.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:40 PM

I have had my Wal-Mart machine for over 2 years now and it has never given me any problems. I have the brother SQ-9050 which some on here have used for FMQ with no problems. Maybe someone with this model will chime in and talk about it. I don't use mine for FMQ so can't comment on that area but it is a good machine for the price.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:12 PM
Power Poster

The nice thing about buying a Brother sewing machine from Walmart is that you can take it back if you don't like it. Most dealerships will not take a sewing machine back (they will take it back only if you upgrade, and sometimes not even then). These are not the most robust of machines, but for a lot of people they work really well.

As someone else mentioned, you can FMQ on a machine that doesn't drop feed dogs by covering up the feed dogs. Some people make a hole in an old credit card, then tape the credit card to the bed of the machine. Just be sure to change the stitch length to 0 so the feed dogs don't move.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:52 PM

I have had Brother sewing machines for 7 years.

The first one broke because it fell in transit between vacation points. I can't blame that on Brother or Walmart.

Even so, I'd had it for 5 years and it worked very well. I'm not what you call 'too careful' with my sewing machines - yeah, I should be, but I'm not - so I can only say good things about the Brother sewing machines at Walmart.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:17 PM

I have a brother xl2600 that we bought at walmart jan 6, 2006. It has the needle threader which I really love as im visually handicapped and cant thread the needle. It was my 2nd brother nachine I bought from walmart. The first one, I sold to my friends 9 year old daughter for $75 dollars. She wanted me to teach her how to sew...now I have to say I was just learning myself at that time. She worked walking our dogs, sometimes pulling weeds, just little chores and every week when she got her $2.00 allowance she would run to my apt (we lived next door) and give it to me and we had a chart on my fridge that she would keep track of what she earned and paid me. until she earned $75. She was so proud of herself as that was a big accomplishment. She kept it at my house and every day she came over and her and I sewed we made placemats and simple table runners and Christmas stockings for everyone in her family that year. And so I bouggt the second Brother from Walmart and still use it. Recently my daughter gave me her Singer Sew Mate she bought from Walmart and I Love it. Only part I dont like is it doesnt have a drop in bobbin.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:37 PM

I have a Brother Project Runway I bought on sale at Walmart for less than $100 about 4 years ago. It sews like a dream and has never given me any trouble. The feed dogs drop and it came with a walking foot and a free motion foot. I have hemed jeans with it and I made a throw out of jeans using it and it never missed a beat on either project. If it broke, I would buy another one.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:20 PM

My $89 Brother from Walmart runs almost every day for hours, and it is now on year 7 for me!!
Old 10-11-2013, 09:25 PM

Why not try an old singer and cover feed dogs. They have far better motors.