Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
walmart sewing machines >

walmart sewing machines

walmart sewing machines

Old 10-12-2013, 03:19 PM

I bought a brother from walmart just to take to class dueto it being light. My Janome is just to heavy.
I like the machine and has worked very well for me.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:28 PM

I bought a Singer from Walmart and it lasted just long enough to get past the warranty and froze up. It was going to cost more than I paid for the machine to fix it. It did not sew that well either. I bought my Brother from walmart.com and I am more than pleased. I have made everything from dresses to quilted small quilts on it without a problem. I even used it to sew piping on an upholstered chair cushion when I recovered my favorite comfy chair.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by mighty View Post
They Brother machines that Wallmart sells are pretty good machines for the price.
I have had 2 Brother machines from Walmart....both have been fantastic work horses...my first made dozens of quilts but feed dogs wouldn't drop so I upgraded, it too has made dozens of quilts and WILL no FMQ, however I haven't done too much of it because it seems I'm "challenged" when it comes to doing that...when I'm not so backed up with projects I will practice more. I can't say enough good about them.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:39 AM

I just purchased a $79 Brother from Walmart. We were on vacation and I wanted to make my GD some dresses while on vacation. After we left on our trip we discovered my good sewing machine was still sitting at home. So off to Walmart to see what they had. I bought the cheapest Brother they had and it did a decent job of sewing and buttonholes. No tension problems or anything else. This machine is great for sewing once in a while, but will not hold up to long term sewing. If it breaks there will be no way to have it repaired and parts will not be available. Sewing machine dealers do not work on these types of machines even though they have the Brother or Bernette name they are not the same as the ones you would buy from a dealer. I used to work at a sewing machine store and the parts for these machines are not available. Most brands of sewing machine dealers have a lower priced entry kevel model that is affordable. These will be warranted and you can get service if there is an issue.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:39 AM

Please consider a vintage all metal machine. They sew so well. You can get one for under $200 and you will have it the rest of your sewing life. I use singer 301s for FMQ and a 401 for zig zag. The quality and sewing cannot be beat. The aluminum body is not that heavy. The visibility when stitching can't be compared to the plastic chunks. I started off with a $2000 machine with all the bells and whistles and had nothing but heartache and sold it for a big loss. The inside construction does matter- all metal versus plastic.
Linda
Old 10-13-2013, 03:45 AM

I have an old kenmore that I FHQ on before I got LA, just took the plate off and removed the feed dogs, did quite a few quilts this way.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:42 AM

My son just got me a machine from Walmart.SQ9050 brother. I actually like the machine.It is a quilting machine. So far it has been excellent. I would say to anyone who is looking to buy one, to try it. Keep in mind they may not be the best machine out there, but decent for the price.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:07 AM

I bought my brother from Wal-Mart a couple years ago for just general sewing well I use it for everything it has worked better than my costly ones., and yes I machine quilt even my larger quilt tops on it. NEVER EVER had a problem with it. Where as my one singer had it less than 3 months and had it in twice for repairs .
Old 10-13-2013, 05:11 AM

I don't think you can expect much of a machine that costs $79. I have one of the computerized Brothers that I too bought from Walmart, in fact I have two. I liked the first one so well that I bought another. I have had the first one for over 10 years and the 2nd one for around 7 years. As far as not getting parts, my machine repairman seems to have no trouble. Of course the dealers won't work on them, they want you to purchase their machines.

Originally Posted by slmeyer View Post
I just purchased a $79 Brother from Walmart. We were on vacation and I wanted to make my GD some dresses while on vacation. After we left on our trip we discovered my good sewing machine was still sitting at home. So off to Walmart to see what they had. I bought the cheapest Brother they had and it did a decent job of sewing and buttonholes. No tension problems or anything else. This machine is great for sewing once in a while, but will not hold up to long term sewing. If it breaks there will be no way to have it repaired and parts will not be available. Sewing machine dealers do not work on these types of machines even though they have the Brother or Bernette name they are not the same as the ones you would buy from a dealer. I used to work at a sewing machine store and the parts for these machines are not available. Most brands of sewing machine dealers have a lower priced entry kevel model that is affordable. These will be warranted and you can get service if there is an issue.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:11 AM

From a local repair man, I know he cannot repair the machines sold at Wal Mart. Either Brother or Singer. He cannot get the repair parts for them. They are not available for him to get. He once called the machines, disposable machines. Some may be lucky by not doing any tuff sewing with them, but will they hold up for long. good luck