Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please help-Quilting on a domestic sewing machine >

Please help-Quilting on a domestic sewing machine

Please help-Quilting on a domestic sewing machine

Old 10-13-2013, 11:13 AM

I did my first FMQ - Twin size on my singer and loved it so much I bought the Jamone 7700. Gloves are key. I could not find mine the other day and just wanted to get my quilt done. It was hard to move the quilt to make smooth curves with out the gloves. I also started to keep up my dogfeeds and do not cover them, I find that I have no tension issues by doing that. I do use a darning foot. It takes pratice...doodle on paper as much as you can...drawing curves. It really helps when you do it later on your machine. I only spray baste with 505 and never pin baste. I have never had a problem with puckering. I do not roll my quilt since it gets to bulkly. I just move it so I can get it in the machine and fan fold my fabric if needed. You will love it once you get use to it. If you make error once you wash it you really can not see them once the fabric crinkles. I find Warm and natural is the easiest to use when FMQ'ng - Good luck you will do fine.

Last edited by carolaug; 10-13-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:54 AM

I have FMQ'd on my janome mc4000, but this is away being repaired, bought a cheap toyota quiltmaster to use as a back up whilst my machine is being repaired cost £150(uk) and it fmq's like an absolute pro. I picked up a tip on u tube about using cheap gardening gloves and they work great, I also find them cooler to wear than the quilting gloves.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:26 PM

I quilt on my Brother Innov'is 450Q. It may be larger than your machine but it does not have a very big throat. I spray baste (or used Elmer's Washable School Glue in one case) and then I STID or use one of the machine's stitches, a wavy line. Largest I've done is about twin size. It's kind of a nuisance handling the quilt sandwich but the machine has no problem sewing it.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Also, check out Leah Day's website. Hopefully she will both inspire and help you.

http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.c...tart-here.html
I got started by watching Leah Day and using her ideas. I've been able to quilt queen size quilts on my DSM following her ideas. She has a website Daystyledesigns.com and many videos on you-tube. Good luck! I'm sure the website is not exactly right but you can Google her.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
She has a website Daystyledesigns.com and many videos on you-tube. I'm sure the website is not exactly right but you can Google her.
The Daystyledesigns website is her retail website, she has classes and videos for sale there. Her other website, freemotionquilting.blogspot.com, has over 400 designs posted for free, and her YouTube videos are posted there as well. The original link I posted (http://www.freemotionquilting.blogsp...tart-here.html) is the start page for beginners and gives background and helpful info as well as links to beginner level designs.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:04 PM

I don't know if this is pertinent, but I found out I can lift the presser foot higher on Janome by pushing twice up on the lever. Brothers are very similar to Janome.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
http://www.ericas.com/quilting/tools/skillbuilder.htm
This is a good website for practice panels for FMQ. Start small and there is also a book about machine quilting in sections. I love Ann Peterson on craftsy and pasty Thompson has some good free YouTube videos on it as well. Many also like Leah day as well. She also has some craftsy classes as well.
HI , i don't know if you remember me I bought a dreamweaver we chatted before I have been so busy working with it it is in the shop I had a fab u motion & my needle hit it & knock it out of order I hope to get it back on tuesday . What have you made with it ? Have a blessed day , Shirley
Old 10-13-2013, 06:59 PM

I have a Brother 770 and I've quilted (SITD) runners and small quilts (45x52) on it using the walking foot and the wavy stitch pre-programmed in the machine. It's a small lightweight machine and I've had no issues with it at all.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:15 AM

I've got 2 machines that I use when I quilt. Bernina 930(7") and Husqvarna Viking Sapphire 875(10" throat). I've quilted queen size quilts with the Bernina, requires lots of stuffing the quilt out of the way, but it can be done. The Sapphire makes it easier, but it can be a fussy machine at times. I have a walking foot and darning foot for both machines. FMQ is easier when I use the "Machinger" gloves, I can grip the quilt better. I've been machine quilting for over 20 years and learned what works for me and what doesn't.
Sharon
Old 10-14-2013, 10:32 AM

I've just finished my first totally machine made and quilted small 4' x 5 'quilt this weel. Frankly, it was a hassle stuffing that fabric into the throat of the machine. Thankfully, I had used Elmer's glue which really held it together well so I didn't have the problem of shifting fabric. I guess it gets easier as you get more experience, but it probably won't replace the joy I get by hand quilting. I have a really large quilt that I was going to machine quilt, but decided to have someone else long arm quilt it for me. I'm now shopping for a machine with a big throat!