Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Totally Shocking new Quilt book !! >

Totally Shocking new Quilt book !!

Totally Shocking new Quilt book !!

Old 10-18-2013, 06:46 AM

That is "quilt purist" thinking, and I do agree with them, although there is nothing wrong with a hand-tied quilt. The definition of a quilt is three layers(quilt top, batting, and backing) SEWN together. I think that's where the person you spoke with is coming from. It's no big deal for me.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:56 AM
DJ

Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
I've made many tied quilts, although the "quilt police" say that if a quilt is tied, it's not a quilt, that is NOT my thought. If you want to tie your quilts, then go for it, it's whatever works for you.
That's news to me. I'm with you . . . whatever works for you.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:48 AM

I just looked the meaning of "Quilt" on the Merriam-Webster web site & this is what it says - Full Definition of QUILT - 1 a : a bed coverlet of two layers of cloth filled with padding (as down or batting) held in place by ties or stitched designs.
So like others have said whatever works. Wether you tie or sew a quilt is a quilt.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:22 AM

Another request for the book title here. Thanks in advance,
Betsy in MA
Old 10-18-2013, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sew Hooked View Post
That is "quilt purist" thinking, and I do agree with them, although there is nothing wrong with a hand-tied quilt. The definition of a quilt is three layers(quilt top, batting, and backing) SEWN together. I think that's where the person you spoke with is coming from. It's no big deal for me.
As a 50+ sew-er, I always thought tying knots was part of sewing. Actually, I don't know how to sew, or knit, or crochet, or quilt, or cross stitch without a knot in sight.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:59 AM

when I first started making quilts and selling them (early 1980's), most of the ones for sale were tied. I offered hand quilted so mine were different. Before all the imports came in, people would spend $200 or so for a tied, patchwork quilt, made in VT.

Some people will say tied is a "comforter" not a quilt, but it is just words and if you made it you can call it what you want.

I have tied a few, my problem is, I don't like the looks of the ties on the front, so I put them on the back. Not nearly as easy as having them on the front. I am taking note of that "surgeon's knot" for future reference.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:08 AM

Just finished 2 tied quilts. One was a Flying Geese pattern. So puffy and comfy! Would also love to know the name of the book.

Thanks
Barbara
Old 10-20-2013, 07:30 AM

I feel that a quilt that is tied or hand quilted has more meaning with every stitch that is put into it than a quilt that is machine quilted--with every stitch you put into a quilt it is a stitch of love with special meaning for the one you are making it for.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:35 AM

I, too, grew up with hand tied quilts. And, bindings....well often, it was the backing brought around to the front, turned under and sewed down. The ladies Missionary Society at church would gather at Mom's because she had the frames and a living room big enough to set them up. I remember them tying 3 or 4 quilts in a couple of hours. And the centers of the quilts were not batting, it was a flannel sheet often pieced to make it big enough. What fun to sit under the quilt and see the needles poke down and back up, and listen to the chatter and laughter. Anyway, my point is that there is more than one way to finish a quilt. Phooey with the quilt police! On a practical note, I have found that the hand or machine quilted quilts tend to hold up better. I think the close stitching reinforces the fabric more on cotton quilts.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:53 PM

Title of the book? Authors? Thanks...did I miss it in the above postings?

Anita