Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting on the cheap? >

Quilting on the cheap?

Quilting on the cheap?

Old 10-18-2013, 04:17 PM
Power Poster

Yes this. I have three friends that are quilters that do this exclusively. One buys fabric that was donated at the Goodwill etc. the others buy clothes and other such items at resale stores and garage sales and use them to make quilts out of. Look for the really big sizes and go on the days they have special offs on the clothes. One of them uses non cottons too and she has this very artsy style with a primitive hand stitch to secure it all. I am privileged to have the cutest family tree wall hanging she made for me and my family. I have also bought yardage for backs and borders off of this board. Since I use older fabrics at times buying older style fabrics for the backs works out well.

Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
Yard sales, thrift shops, friends - check out gently used shirts, skirts, sheets, etc. Ask friends who sew for scraps they might want to get rid of. Offer to swap something you have for what you are looking for. Check out the for sale or trade section on this board. Lots of good buys there!!!

Last edited by Annaquilts; 10-18-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:26 PM

I used to never see fabric at our local thrift stores (Goodwill, Salvation Army, St. Vincent's, etc). I was always looking in the craft sections. One day I was on the search for some sheets and blankets to use for when we foster dogs for our local Animal Care & Control. Lo and behold, there on hangers near the sheets and table linens were different lengths of cotton fabric!!! So make sure you check the linens sections as I have learned that is where all the thrift stores in my city keep it!!!
Old 10-18-2013, 04:55 PM

Warm wishes pattern is simple yet effective. PM me!

http://www.quiltmaker.com/patterns/d...html?idx=5185_
Old 10-18-2013, 05:19 PM

estate sales if you can find them
Old 10-18-2013, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If you are going to be machine quilting, you can keep an eye out for sheets on sale. Look for nice quality sheets with a large floral or design that you can outline stitch to practice FMQ designs.
Sheets can be very difficult to quilt (hence why a lot of quilters tell you NOT to provide them for backing). If I was just learning, I'm not sure I'd want to use them. You are a lot more likely to get skipped stitches.

I don't have a lot of experience with clothes either- but honestly, if the goal is quilting, not piecing, thrift fabric might make it harder to learn. The problem with sheets is usually that there threads are closer together, so old men's shirts probably don't have that problem. Don't use knit if you are learning.

Personally, I'd buy sale fabric at the store or online. Fabric.com often has some under $3/yd. If you just want to practice your quilting, make wholecloths. They use less fabric, and take less time, than something that is pieced.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:12 PM

I think as a beginner quilter, you would find it much easier to start with fabric, rather than with clothes. I have found inexpensive fabric at Wal-Mart and that might be a good place to start...or with a 40% off coupon at Hancocks, plus Hancocks often has fabric they are clearing out at good prices. I have only cut fabric out of clothing a few times, and I found it very frustrating to cut out the sizes I needed.

One easy pattern that really looks good is from Missouri Star Quilt Company....though they have videos on lots of easy patterns....but the two slice layer cake makes a really good quilt. (Just google Two Slice Layer Cake quilt pattern...if you are interested.) They start with a layer cake (42 ten inch squares of fabric from one line), but you can start with any fabric, cut it into ten inch squares, and go from there.

Let me find a picture of one I have made, in case it interests you. I used five fabrics in the last I made and liked it a lot.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	S8001466.JPG
Views:	1621
Size:	509.7 KB
ID:	442020  
Old 10-18-2013, 09:13 PM

I do this frequently. I have a HQ16 on a frame, and it works well for me. I've used poly/cotton and cotton and flannel with success, but 100% polyester looks awful_ I actually un-quilted a quilt half way through because of how bad the polyester looked when quilted.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:28 PM

Flannel sheets go on sale at stores shortly after Christmas. By March the prices are steeply discounted. You can buy King size flannel sets at extremely good prices, which also gives you matching pillow cases. If possible, get white or tan solid color flannel sheets so that you can use them for both batting or backing. I've gotten a few in plaids, too, and they look great as backings on the 'right' quilt.

A word of caution when using flannel sheets - because of shrinkage. they MUST be laundered at least once, preferably twice, before you use them.

Many people will tell you not to shop in Walmart, but I use their fabrics frequently. (And I have seen some Walmart fabrics in the quilts made by some of those 'many people'!) I made quilts for my grandsons 8 and 6 years ago. Both are in use and both are holding up fairly well. The binding is fraying, but that is as much from my lack of expertise and technique as from wear and tear.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:39 PM
Gay

I would check out the thrifty stores for flat sheets, but make sure they don't have a high polyester content. That's what parkas are made of [and probably parachutes], and it doesn't sew well at all. All of my quilt backings are done with inexpensive sheets I've bought when on sale, only had 20/40% poly, and they have sewn up well. If they seem a bit soft to handle then starch them well first.

You will probably find polyester wadding is the cheapest to buy. It might be a bit difficult to handle in a domestic machine, but you can always cut it into managable strips and pin and quilt that, then add another strip and repeat till done.

Hugs
Old 10-18-2013, 11:03 PM

I'm glad I looked at this thread - lots of good ideas here. It always amuses me that a hobby that started off as a thrifty, money-saving way of providing bedding has become such a money pit!
Dina - thankyou for posting the photo of your lovely quilt. That pattern may be what I was looking for for a vague idea I have for my next quilt.