Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trip Around the World. >

Trip Around the World.

Trip Around the World.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:06 PM

My mom cut a whole quilt out for me years ago. Before all the strip quilting came to be the norm.
Sewing it all together the old fashioned way is a challenge. She left us 10 years ago this month. I
am trying to get through the quilt to honor her. She had it all mapped out in a shoe box. God bless
her. This was my year to finish things. I don't think I will finish that quilt this year.

Just thought I would chime in. All my searches for help on the internet told me just what you all said.
Oh, well, on to the old days I go.

kidlit
Old 10-26-2013, 04:05 PM
Power Poster

I love the TATW pattern and mine is done with 8 fabrics. 3/4yd of each. And follow similar instructions to complete it using the strip set method. There are many ways to do this pattern. Do some research and pick one that suits you. I just have to show you a sample of one of my favs'. I also like Eleanor Burns method which has the added bonus of not having any intersecting seams. Cool!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]443399[/ATTACH]
peace
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	turkeys, deer, joans quilt 2-13 019.JPG
Views:	369
Size:	330.3 KB
ID:	443399  
Old 10-26-2013, 07:06 PM

That is one quilt I haven't made but I sure like the looks of them. You all have done a beautiful job on those you are showing here.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:59 AM

TATW is one of those projects which is pleasing to look at in whatever colors you choose to use. It was the first quilt I ever made: several reds and blues with white as the accent color. I remember putting it on the floor and crawling around to tie it with embroidery floss. That was a long time ago. I now try to quilt my tops, and I certainly cannot crawl around on the floor anymore!!
Old 10-27-2013, 05:34 AM

I like your quilt!
Old 10-27-2013, 05:58 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to try and pick some purples at the fabric and use the greens I have. The pictures have helped. I have a digitable camera so once I get started I'll try to send pictures.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:43 AM

When I used Eleanor Burns "TAW" I believe that I used 12 fabrics for a double size quilt. Mine was done in light & dark blues, olive green tones, and light and dark yellows. We had several conferences around here, (everybody got a chance to be a quilt designer, and one friend always asks if I need help with colors for another quilt. Lol.) before I settled on the color arrangement, but I was so happy with the results, that I made another with the same colors for a swap I was in. The receiver was happy with the colors since it matched her living room. As I remember , Eleanor's pattern included several hints for color choice and arrangement...
Old 10-27-2013, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
I love the TATW pattern and mine is done with 8 fabrics. 3/4yd of each. And follow similar instructions to complete it using the strip set method. There are many ways to do this pattern. Do some research and pick one that suits you. I just have to show you a sample of one of my favs'. I also like Eleanor Burns method which has the added bonus of not having any intersecting seams. Cool!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]443399[/ATTACH]
peace
Your quilt is gorgeous! I love your colors!
Old 10-27-2013, 08:54 AM

Here is one done with butterfly fabrics. Not traditional in that not all fabrics in the round were the same but all had a common color but loved by the recipient.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	front of May's quilt.JPG
Views:	530
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	443509  
Old 10-27-2013, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by neece View Post
I saw a purple and green Trip Around the World quilt that I loved. However, the price was way beyond my means. I cannot find a pattern that also explains how often the colors can be repeated. I would greatly appreciate any help. I am hesitant to just start as I am NOT a purple fan and can see myself ending up with a UFO Any suggestions are lovingly tried Thanks
If you can find Blanche Young's book "Traditions With A Twist" - there are several wonderful trip around the world patterns......My Avatar is her "Jamaica" pattern.