Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying a new machine? What one? recommendations Bernina/Husquavarna? >

Buying a new machine? What one? recommendations Bernina/Husquavarna?

Buying a new machine? What one? recommendations Bernina/Husquavarna?

Old 10-27-2013, 08:35 AM

Personally I love the Pfaff's due to the IDT [dual feed] technology.

Like others have said before: have your wish list with you and your price limit. Try them all and see which one you bond with the most. Most dealers will push how many stitches the machine has, but stick to what you want. No need for stitches you won't use.

I'd also consider a used machine. Many quilters/sewers will be trading up at the shows.

Bargain for all you are able to get.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:37 AM

Well, I just bought a Viking Eden Rose 250 for $1000. You could look at that one. Barb
Old 10-27-2013, 08:48 AM

I, too, love my Viking. Mine is about 10-12 yrs old. Platinum model. Throat not overly large but that was not a consideration for me as I hand quilt. But I've never had it serviced and it just hums along and does anything I ask. Has some embroidery stitches but it not an 'embroidery' machine per se. Was about $1200 new but I believe they have new models for less today. JMHO.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:43 PM

Thank you so much for all your thoughts and considerations. I took your information that I could get before I headed out and went with the intention of trying out as many as I could within my range and needs. I felt that the best bang for the buck and classes, table, quarter foot etc. came with the ....

Husqvarna Eden Rose 250C- got the floor model so saved a bit.
a little more than I wanted to spend, but the biggest opening for the money, also the machine I felt most comfortable with.
The Bernina was way out of my budget for a smaller machine, the Janome was ok, but the Pfaff was the most disappointing as the tension kept going on it.(so I got really turned off it) - Juki was not at the show, and Baby lock had mostly larger ones there today.
I am so excited and can't wait to set it up. thanks again. =)
Old 10-27-2013, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
Take a look at the Juki TL2010Q. I love mine.
I'll second that. It is a great machine for FMQ, but it is just a straight stitch, (no zig zag)
Old 10-27-2013, 06:34 PM

I've had 2 Berninas. Loved them both.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
Take a look at the Juki TL2010Q. I love mine.
I too, have the Juki machine & it is an absolute workhorse & of all the machines I have, I love it the most. I also have a Bernina 820 (which is several thousand dollars here in Canada) + the Singer Anniversary machine. My Juki only sews with a straight stitch but it has a bigger harp (not as big as the Bernina) & it does everything I want from a no bells & whistles machine. It will sew through 8-9 layers of denim without a sweat & is RELIABLE. Cost me about $1100.00 5 years ago & I have never regretted that purchase. Make sure you test drive all the machines you might be interested in & test drive them again. Take a list of your priorities & go from there. Dealer back up is also a very important issue. Good luck & let us know what you finally decide.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:46 AM

Enjoy your new machine!! I am sure you will have many happy hours of sewing on it.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:47 AM

I own a Janome 3160 that I love because it is easy to take to class, has a thread cutter, needle down and I have used it to FMQ...a real work horse. Love this machine!!!

I also have a Janome 12000 that is high end on price but has everything a sewer/quilter would want in a machine. It has embroidery which you don't want. I bought these from my LQS so they are there for me when needed. Some things they don't even charge for.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:04 AM

I got a Viking 835 at a sewing show. I had the warranty transferred to a local shop. Excellent sewing, large throat, excellent warranty service. Less than $1000.