Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
iPad? Kindle? Surface? All/None of the above? >

iPad? Kindle? Surface? All/None of the above?

iPad? Kindle? Surface? All/None of the above?

Old 10-31-2013, 05:23 AM

I use my Kindle Fire primarily for audio books but I also use it to check my email when I'm not home. You do need wi-fi access for that. I agree that a smart phone is probably the best solution but I've resisted so far as I really don't want to pay for a data plan.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:23 AM

Someone mentioned a good support system. I agree! If your family uses Apple products and you decide to get an Android for whatever reason, it's harder to get quick advise - not the kind of stuff you feel like dragging out to the store for. ( and obviously the same would apply to the reverse product arrangement) I have an iPad and iPhone as do my kids.. When I need help, they are right there and I've had very little learning issues. But my sister has an Androide, her kids Apple products and when she needs help she's stuck. Just something to think about.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:47 AM

Why can't they make an ipad that you can make phone calls on.....sorry...just venting...but thats what I want.
They are saying great things about the ipad mini with Retina display that is due to launch in december.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:27 AM

Here is my two cents worth...I researched the iPad, Nexus, Surface, Kindle, Nook, when I decided I HAD to have one of the tablets. To my way of thinking, the Kindle is the very best when comparing price, use, size, and support for a tablet. I have not regretted my decision to purchase the Kindle Fire HD 8.9 tablet (except now they have the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 tablet with a back camera!!). I purchased a router for wifi setup and have no monthly charge to use it. It does everything the others (iPad, etc.) do except it does not have a back camera, but it does have a front camera for use with Skyping with my son in Florida. I have used it for help in my Spanish class, looked up books to do with quilting, emailing (sending and receiving), and everything your PC will do only with the comfort of using it on the couch in the evening. I take it with me to friends' homes and we look up quilty websites and just have fun having the computer at our fingertips. I would research all the tablets, then you can choose the one that will best suit you.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:03 AM

I have a Kindle Fire, which I love for reading, and at home we have wireless internet...so I can use it at home. Better than the laptop sometimes. For what you want, I would go with a smartphone or I phone. I got a Samsung Galaxy Note II a couple of years ago and I love it!!! I can access the internet from almost anywhere! I do have a data plan on my phone. I use my phone for calling, looking things up online, checking e-mail, FB, my calendar schedule, etc. I love it!!!
Old 10-31-2013, 10:21 AM

I have a droid smart phone and got a nexsus 7 this year. I love the tablet size, but can only use it at home or somewhere with a wifi connection. I don't trust the security of those places so I use it at home mostly. Sounds like a smart phone would be better for you.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:31 AM

I agree with Dolphyngyrl on the Samsung. I have a semi-literate no-contract phone, laptop, Nook Tablet, simple Kindle but "needed" (i.e., wanted) a tablet. After extensive online research I got the Samsung Note 10.1. I've used computers for over 25 years and although this is not Windows, the learning curve is not as steep as Apple would be for me and the price was much better -- besides, Costco had a special. In its leather sleeve it still fits in most of my bags and if I need Internet, a cup of Starbucks is cheaper than a data plan. One way I checked was to Google "compare tablets" to compare features among the three I was considering. Good luck -- and enjoy.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:31 AM

My husband bought an ASus 7 inch tablet that he loves. Same size as Kindle but has better Internet access, can hold music and movies. He bought his at Microcenter for around $125.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Sewslow View Post
and if I need Internet, a cup of Starbucks is cheaper than a data plan.
Did you know you can hook up on the internet from your car in the parking lot, making it even less expensive! I have tried that in Starbuck's parking lot but not at McDonald's. Most likely it is the same.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
Did you know you can hook up on the internet from your car in the parking lot, making it even less expensive! I have tried that in Starbuck's parking lot but not at McDonald's. Most likely it is the same.
FYI - You can do the same at most libraries too! ( My daughter did this for most of a year, while in college.)