Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
iPad? Kindle? Surface? All/None of the above? >

iPad? Kindle? Surface? All/None of the above?

iPad? Kindle? Surface? All/None of the above?

Old 10-29-2013, 02:17 PM

Default iPad? Kindle? Surface? All/None of the above?

I'm contemplating getting a "device" for Christmas. At our house between 4 people we have 2 desktops, a laptop, 1 smartphone & 3 dumbphones. I don't work outside the home so I'm usually able to go online whenever I want. But often (once or twice a week maybe) when I'm out I wish I had access to the internet--is it time to take the plunge to a tablet of some kind? I really don't know what kind would benefit me the most. Since we don't have a data plan I don't even know what is necessary. One friend got a tablet recently and now sits on the couch playing games instead of at the computer desk--this is NOT what I'm interested in. Guess that, and my frugal nature is part of the reason I still don't have one. I've read posts about how some can be helpful for quilting and THAT would be more what I'd be interested in. I know this has been discussed previously but 6 months is a lifetime in the computer age and when I do this I'd like to be up to date as least for a little while.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:21 PM

You would need access to the internet in order to use the internet feature on a Kindle outside your home.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
You would need access to the internet in order to use the internet feature on a Kindle outside your home.
Same thing with iPad unless you were at a place with free wifi. Meaning in my clumsy way of saying, that to connect to internet you need either a data plan or wifi availability.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:38 PM
Power Poster

I can only give you advice on an iPad2. We have wifi so I can sit in my recliner to view QB and surf the net. I can email my regular computer if I need to print anything out. It has a pop up keyboard which is what I am using to type this. All my picture on QB are taken and posted from the iPad. I was not able to do pictures from my computer. I can take my iPad into my sewing room and watch Bonnie Hunter's QuiltCam while I sew at my machine. I can capture anything that is on the screen and add it to my camera roll. Many businesses you go to now have free wifi.
I don't have a lot of apps but some I enjoy are Missouri Star Quilt co., Words with friends, Scrabble and Candyland.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:49 PM

If you want to access the internet while you're out, I would suggest a smartphone. The iPads, Kindles, etc. are nice but they're a bit bulky, to carry when you go out. You would need a data plan, of course.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:55 PM

I have an IPad and have found it has been a very long learning curve to get to where I am today. I have always used a Microsoft product( nearly 25 years) and have owned my IPad for almost 2years. The drawbacks I see to the IPad is unfamiliar apps to replace some of the Microsoft programs such as office, I currently do not have a way to do any excel type work or even write a letter which with Microsoft at least you can use word pad. We bought a wireless printer so I could print to it as I have no port to attach it to. I can't use the software for my embroidery machine (Janome9700) because I have no USB ports on IPad. This last one is the most annoying. If I had to do it again I would stay away from Apple and buy a Microsoft product.
Although the IPad is convenient in size, there are numerous other systems coming out today that are just as compact and in my opinion easier to use than IPad. If you are unfamiliar with Apple products or don't have a good support person to help you to learn the system, I would recommend not buying an IPad.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:17 PM

I have an iPad and an iPhone. Love them both. However, if you want to be able to access internet outside of your home the iPhone is the way to go. You need to be somewhere accessible to WiFI in order to use iPad. Both are like mini computers. The iPad has a larger viewing area so reading it is easier, but as I said, can't be used in the car for instance or in the mall, etc. Unless you can get WiFi. You can download books onto both from Amazon.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:33 PM

If you want internet while you are out of the house, like shopping maybe, an I phone or smart phone is what you need. You can get coupons while standing in Joanns for example or Hobby Lobby. Or pull up an inspiration piece from Pinterest. Lots of good uses like driving directions, etc. but it is somewhat pricey to have all this at your finger tips! I love mine, I love my Iphone 5.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:02 PM

If you are just looking for something for when you are away from home, I would suggest you just get a smart phone. If you are just wanting to check emails and Facebook and surf the 'net and read books at home, I'd suggest an iPad (which is exactly what I use my iPad for). If you need to be able to access files/documents, etc. from a flash drive (in addition to the above mentioned things) then a Surface tablet would be what you would want (our Business Analyst daughter uses her Surface when traveling for business and is happy with it). I have both an iPhone 5 and an iPad...love them both. Also have a laptop and rarely use it anymore. Have fun with whatever you get!

Last edited by Pam B; 10-29-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:13 PM

Need to upgrade your cell phone? If so, head to your carrier and take a look at the Android Galaxy phones and others that have the larger screens. Once you decide on the device...(android platform or Apple platform), you can add a tablet but you have to use the same, compatible operating system (platform) then you can "sync" both devices to use the same apps. I use my iphone and Ipad2 and sync my calendar, 3 different email addresses, Facebook, pinterest,Numbers (Excel app), Kindle app, twitter, etc. I love it. I don't have a data plan on my Ipad because I pay for it on my Iphone. I just access wi-fi on the go by stopping at Panera, McDonald, anywhere there is free wi-fi. Your public library will have wi-fi. Lots of places do these days. Mini Ipad and the other smaller tablets may appeal to you.

sandy