Kindle Fire vs Ipad? HELP

Old 03-27-2012, 06:49 AM

Default Kindle Fire vs Ipad? HELP

I have been following the Kindle thread, and then I tried to figure out whether to go with a Kindle Fire vs. an IPad. I am an avid audiobook user, rather than a print reader. Could you please help me figure this out? Thanks
Old 03-27-2012, 06:59 AM

Well, it seems to me you can do so much more with an IPad...you can surf the internet, get your email, use Skype. Even if you don't do much of that, it's nice to have the option. Of course, that option costs...if you just want something for reading, maybe the Kindle is better, as I believe it's less expensive?
Old 03-27-2012, 07:05 AM

ipad, for sure. Not only can you do so much more with it but Apple products are so superior (my opinion) to any others. With the Kindle you can read books. With the ipad you can read and keep up with THIS site(!) and more!
Old 03-27-2012, 07:51 AM

Depends on what you want to do and what you want to spend. I am typing on my kindle fire now. You can surf the Internet, read books, listen to books, and do pretty much everything you do on the iPad except take pictures and Skype. The kindle fire is $199. and the new iPad is $599. I'd rather use that $400 for fabric. Just another opinion. I have a camera and a laptop for skyping. So don't need iPad. I feel picture & images on kindle are excellent.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:09 AM

I've been really struggling with my desire for a kindle fire and whether I would use it enough to make it worthwhile. Knowing that you can "listen" to books on it helps. Do you know if the volume on it would be enough so that hubby and I could both listen to a book in the car or is only with headphones? The CD player in the van quit working and I know we can't use a portable CD player because the volume isn't enough to be heard over the van/road noises. Portable speakers don't help either because I can't get the volume I need.
Originally Posted by QandE2010 View Post
Depends on what you want to do and what you want to spend. I am typing on my kindle fire now. You can surf the Internet, read books, listen to books, and do pretty much everything you do on the iPad except take pictures and Skype. The kindle fire is $199. and the new iPad is $599. I'd rather use that $400 for fabric. Just another opinion. I have a camera and a laptop for skyping. So don't need iPad. I feel picture & images on kindle are excellent.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:10 AM

I ftired out the kendle and the barns&nobel tablet and another one I can't remember the name of. There was something I didn't like about all of those. My husband insisted I have an ipad. So he got me an ipad. I don't need all the stuff it does as I only wanted to read books. So I have this $500 electronic goodie that I take places and always have to worry that it is safe. Don't want to mislay $500. I would have been happy with the Nook. It does almost everything the ipad does for half the price. You can listen to audo books on all of them I think. Also several of the Apple ipods are audio book capable. I got a nano and you are supposed to be able to put audio books on it but we have never been able to load them. There must be some "secret" method cause we have followed the directions and it hasn't worked. If I had it to do over I would probably get the Nook.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

I have the Kindle Fire and it has become my favorite quilting tool. I load all my scanned pdf quit patterns, digital magazines, books and quilting apps. I can whip the Kindle Fire out of my purse and have access to all my patterns instructions. I can watch all the quilt videos websites on it. There is a free app on Amazon that will send pdf or doc files from your computer to the Kindle Fire. I have several of the $79 Kindles. I use those to load books and swap Kindles (instead of books) with family and friends. That is the best one for just book reading. No audio on the $79 one.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by drgranny View Post
I ftired out the kendle and the barns&nobel tablet and another one I can't remember the name of. There was something I didn't like about all of those. My husband insisted I have an ipad. So he got me an ipad. I don't need all the stuff it does as I only wanted to read books. So I have this $500 electronic goodie that I take places and always have to worry that it is safe. Don't want to mislay $500. I would have been happy with the Nook. It does almost everything the ipad does for half the price. You can listen to audo books on all of them I think. Also several of the Apple ipods are audio book capable. I got a nano and you are supposed to be able to put audio books on it but we have never been able to load them. There must be some "secret" method cause we have followed the directions and it hasn't worked. If I had it to do over I would probably get the Nook.
I love my Nook color; I also love my 3G nook even though I haven't used it since I bought the color. Both are so easy to use. The color allows me to do so much including using it as an address book, an organizer, to play games and so much more. I've thought about the Ipad but that is expensive and if I'm going to do much on a pc I'd rather be on a pc with a large screen and keyboard. I have a netbook that I bought and can download books and do the Ipad sutff with but then again I don't like the small screen and keyboard if I have a lot of pc stuff to do. When I'm reading or listening to music or books and I can even watch movies on my Nook Color I'm fine. I can use it in daylight or dark with no problems. If I had to do it all over again; I'd buy the Nook Color again. I'm only selling my Nook 3G since I can't read two and my daughter doesn't read. You have to evaluate what you want the device to do but the Ipad shouldnt be compared with the Nook and Kindle; they are different devices with different ranges of capabilities.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:10 PM
Power Poster

If you have the money, go with the Ipad.
Kindles have apps now (Kindle Fire) but aren't as expensive as the Ipad.
You need to figure out your needs first!
If you are only using it to read, then the Kindle is sufficient!
(I have a Kindle...and I love it!)
Old 03-27-2012, 01:21 PM
QKO

There's always the "in-between" option. There are several good Android tablets that will do everything an Ipad will do, cost a couple hundred dollars less, and have superior screens and processors to the Ipad. Buy at around $399. Asus and Toshiba are two of the top brands.