Kindle Fire vs Ipad? HELP

Old 03-27-2012, 02:17 PM

Been reading all the comments about ipads, kindles etc. Like the idea of the $399 model of Toshiba. Think I will investigate that one. Thanks for all the information.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:23 PM

I love my kindle fire. It does everything I want it to do for only $199. Great investment.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:34 PM

I've been doing A LOT of researching on which is the best if u just want a reader and very user friendly with some Internet kindle fire. iPad is a mini computer but gets hot and u can't watch a lot of videos, movies or some you tubes I've read. The androids do all that have lots of memory and go for about $300.0. My daughter works around them she said wait until June or July new ones come out prices go down!
I want a larger screen for mybad eyes Don't want to worry about enough memory. Want to be able to download from the computer too or transfer back so I'm going for an android!! Good luck. Tell u's what u decide!!
Old 03-28-2012, 01:54 AM

I am an old dinosaur that actually works in book publishing and I never dreamed I would embrace my Kindle the way I have. I was fortunate to have won mine for a $5.00 ticket in a raffle. I LOVE taking it to the gym or sitting outside with it to read. It was a lifesaver when we lost power for 5 days last October and I remembered I could have it read to me(your choice male or female voice). I'm one of those nuts with the TV on all night. My question is a little different. I just purchased a Babylock Esante and wondered if one of the tablets would work to download embroidery patterns to transfer to the Esante rather than having to drag my sewing machine across the room to hook up to my computer. Plus would it work to download a copy of EQ7 and work with it? Maybe someone here knows. Being a dinosaur I like my big PC and keyboard.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:13 AM

Do the kindles have computer voices for audio books, or do they sound like they are being narrated? Can you play audio books on an ipad? Do they sound like the audio books are performed, or like computer voices?

Can you print from a Kindle Fire like you can from an IPAD?

What I want is an audio book player, as I cannot sit and read anymore due to neck problems. I want to be able to have something smaller than a laptop for when I travel to read this board, and read and respond to emails. I really don't care about taking pictures or skyping, but I need to be able to print coupons when traveling. Help please?
Old 03-28-2012, 10:33 AM

I love my Nook Color and have no need for an IPad as my Nook does almost everything the IPad does for at least $300.00 less.
I had a choice as my kids got it for me for Christmas and I close the Nook. I can email, play games,surf and of course read books which is mainly what I wanted it for.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:39 PM

For me the I -pad is best. All my life I wanted a small device that basically has everything. reading material, apps with all sorts of games, I can watch tv and cable movies away from my house. It has access to the Internet, news and weather any where in the world, GPS, just to name a few things this device can do. Almost like my computer, but smaller. I have a nook, but didn't use it after I bought my I-pad. I just love my I-pad.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:47 PM

I've just gotten a Nook (the basic variety) for Christmas and love it. I don't know about all of the nuances you are describing but I definitely want to hear the answers since I would be thinking about another one of these down the road - they are just too handy!

I really like the idea about the pdf downloads since they would be so handy for keeping track of my fabric lists for particular quilt patterns when I go to my LQS or Joanns. I also like the idea about being able to use it to connect the computer to the embroidery machine or use it to download a pantograph to reference when FMQ.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:21 PM

There are always as many opinions as people. I don't have one, as I have neither and am doing the same kind of research. Maybe this will help.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/diy-it/how...skin%3Bcontent
Old 03-29-2012, 03:41 AM

Hubby bought me the Ipad about 2 years ago - the only thing I did with it was put videos on it from the ITune store on how to use my embroidery software (Artista V6). Could not watch lots of videos from other sewing sites becasue Apple doesn't support their formats - that was a big dissapointment.

This Christmas he got me the Nook Color Tablet by Barnes & Noble. I LOVE it.
I am an avid reader (buy and go to library), so I was a bit apprehensive since he originally bought the ipad for that purpose, and I didn't use it. I haven't been to the library since. Sister in law is the same way and she was thrilled with her Nook also, and we can lend each other books.

I go to the B&N every morning to see the deal of the day and usually end up buying it (generally 2-4 dollars). I have been watching the Amazon daily deal since December and don't like 95% if the books they offer on sale, so I am extremely pleased witht the B&N choices.
I also like the fact that I can buy a $25 or more gift card at B&N for my downloads so that I am not putting those $1.99 charges on a regular card.
The Nook ColorTablet also has a feature where it will read chilcren's book aloud to you, and you can also record your own voice to read the story.

The only thing that I like better on the IPad is for something like a cookbook (on sale), because the screen is bigger. I do not really like magazines on either reader.

I agree with other reader that you can look for other tablets which have more capabilities - hubby just got himself the Asus Transformer Prime. It has ALL the features of the notebook (which includes a usb slot, which ereaders or IPad don't have).

Karen