Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
iPad? Kindle? Surface? All/None of the above? >

iPad? Kindle? Surface? All/None of the above?

iPad? Kindle? Surface? All/None of the above?

Old 10-30-2013, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
I have an iphone, ipad, Mac Pro Book, and DH has an iphone, samsung notebook and and ancient (4 years old) PC lap top. I agree with everyone else that if you're looking to access the internet while away from home, go with the smartphone. I honestly very seldom us my ipad, especially since DH bought me the Mac Pro Book. I do have a kindle, and if I'm out, like at the doctor, I have the app for kindle on my iphone and just read from there. I even have the bible on my iphone and read from that every morning before I get out of bed. I think an ipad is great for students, but for those of us who are at home, and not in high need of technology, the smart phone is the best choice.
Thank you for your input.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:46 AM

Since a wireless Internet connection (wifi) is required for a tablet, a smart phone may be your best bet when you are away from home.

If you shop for a tablet and are not used to Apple products, you will find there are lots of Android tablets available that you can use without having to learn Apple's way of doing things. We have a Toshiba Thrive -- an Android tablet similar to an iPad. Unlike an iPad, however, it has HDMI and USB ports and another little port (don't know what it is called.)

It (and the iPad too, I assume) also functions as an e-reader just by downloading the Kindle app.

Be sure to research everything before you put your money down. There are lots of sites that review this kind of technology. You can google "tablet computer reviews" or something similar. Same for phones.

Best of luck in your search.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:25 AM

I have a ipad 4 and a iPhone I also have a nook which I don't use anymore once I got my ipad I put the nook up. There are so many places now that offer free wifi that I think you would be happy with anything I would highly recommend my ipad I love it I also have a laptop and 2 different desktops I didnt think that the ipad was hard to use and there are classes available
Old 10-30-2013, 09:22 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

We have an Ipad for when we are out and about (with data plan of course-they get ya coming and going !LOL) and we have a desktop computer and a laptop computer (also wireless) so depending on our needs when we are out and about, is to whether we take one or both !
Drawback to Ipads is the inability to download or print a pattern (no ports).
Old 10-30-2013, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

I only use a computer. My cell phone - plain basic - is always dead. I got cell phones in 2000 and put my oldest Granddaughter on it she has unlimited text and several years ago unlimited data. Phone service doesn't offer the same thing now. As soon as she goes off my plan she will not be able to get the same deal. She pays for her part of it.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:22 AM

Depending on where you will use any device I think most all places have wifi , this would save you on paying at least 30 bucks a month in a data plan, unless you go with a smart phone which in that case a data plan in mandatory .
Old 10-30-2013, 01:39 PM

You have some type of internet access -- if you are not using dialup you can add a wireless router to your system and an tablet can connect.

You can buy the new Windows 8.1 tablets at places like Costco or Best Buy (they are made by Microsoft, Dell, etc) without having to buy a data plan (you must get a data plan with a smart phone) -- and you can go to places like Starbucks and use the internet when you want to read email, or the board. You can probably install some quilting software on the tablet (if it has enough memory), but many of these programs have not yet been adapted to a touch screen. I would get the version of tablet that is not RT, but that is my bias since I want compatibility with my other Windows computers.

I have a Kindle, and I love it for reading books but I don't use it for anything else since I don't want Amazon tracking my every move. I don't use any of the Goole based androids -- I don't want to be dragged into the Google tracking of my every move online. The Microsoft tablet will allow me to keep a low online profile and most of them have a USB connection that allows me to do things like plug in an external drive (like a DVD) so I can install some of my older apps. I am looking at the new tablets because they have longer battery life (the 10"-ish ones use the Haswell chip -- the # of the processor starts with a 4 so you can be sure you are getting the newest one). I know I am getting one for Christmas, just don't know which one I am getting yet. I need to be able to install the full Office set on the tablet since I will definitely be using this when I go to meetings and the like -- and I will be able to transfer things back and forth between my computer and the tablet easily.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Sunlover53 View Post
I have an IPad and have found it has been a very long learning curve to get to where I am today. I have always used a Microsoft product( nearly 25 years) and have owned my IPad for almost 2years. The drawbacks I see to the IPad is unfamiliar apps to replace some of the Microsoft programs such as office, I currently do not have a way to do any excel type work or even write a letter which with Microsoft at least you can use word pad. We bought a wireless printer so I could print to it as I have no port to attach it to. I can't use the software for my embroidery machine (Janome9700) because I have no USB ports on IPad. This last one is the most annoying. If I had to do it again I would stay away from Apple and buy a Microsoft product.
Although the IPad is convenient in size, there are numerous other systems coming out today that are just as compact and in my opinion easier to use than IPad. If you are unfamiliar with Apple products or don't have a good support person to help you to learn the system, I would recommend not buying an IPad.
WhenI bought my first computer, I wanted to get something 'Kelly proof' to learn on. I had used an IBM type computer for a little while, so I had some knowledge of how they work, but I wanted the built in security, you at that time, only got from Apple products.
I dutifully bought classes to learn to use it. My classes started in two weeks, so I just figured I would 'wing it' until then. Nine days later I got a very kind letter telling me that due to lack of interest, they were going to stop holding the classes! They did send my refund with the letter, but... So I have taught myself to use it, (with a few calls to tech support, good thing they are a patient bunch.)
Now, what I did not know was that in order to get an MP3 to have music to go, I would have to purchase another apple product. Also, in order to have my tablet interface ( talk to) with the computer, it had to be an apple product only also.
If I want any new music, I am limited to iTunes or buying individual CDs. (My daughter, who is strictly a Microsoft girl, can get music free all over the internet.)
Now having said all of that here is my two cents worth.- I am glad I bought my iMac, because it truly is dufus proof, going on eight years, and I am still learning new thingsit can do.
Tech support is a little spendy, so are the components, but software is really inexpensive to update, other updates are free and automatic. Apple people are easy to deal with.
My only issue with all my apple products is the initial cost because I am on a fixed income. DH is about to get a small Zeki tablet for Christmas, since all he wants to do is play games and surf the net. I am thousands of dollars (in payments) into my equipment, his will cost him less than $150. I will say there are lots of ways to get free help on the internet with Microsoft products. Just go to google and type your questions.
I do hope this has been helpful.

Last edited by madamekelly; 10-30-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:38 PM

I have a smart phone a kindle fire and a I pad I use my kindle fire the most I am so computer challanged that the ipad is hardly used because it is smarter than me plus a child used it and put a code lock on thinking he did me a favor only he doesn't remember the code he used so now I am locked out. I use the kindle a lot and if I had it to do all over instead of getting a ipad I would get a microsoft product instead
Old 10-30-2013, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by sassey View Post
I have a smart phone a kindle fire and a I pad I use my kindle fire the most I am so computer challanged that the ipad is hardly used because it is smarter than me plus a child used it and put a code lock on thinking he did me a favor only he doesn't remember the code he used so now I am locked out. I use the kindle a lot and if I had it to do all over instead of getting a ipad I would get a microsoft product instead
My darling daughter did that to me as a joke, as she left town, then did not remember the code also. I can help you with that problem. Take it to the nearest Mac Store and tell them. They have a way to get into them to reset such things. It cost me nothing. Good luck dear.