south for winter

Old 11-04-2013, 05:44 PM

We arrived in the north Naples area from Ontario last Wed. Own a double wide trailer in a park and belong to local quilting / sewing group that also does charity quilts for local kids. Been coming 3o winters and love this lifestyle.
Suggest you pack basics and enough fabric for a project also a machine if you have one to travel. Do you know anyone in the park that would know if there is a sewing group as these women will gladly share ? I leave lots of stuff here so have enough to share if you were in my area but I bring some things every yr --like my Brother Innovis 1500 D sew/embroidery machine. If you are a reg sewing lady bring things or you will be sorry even though we have fabric stores in Fl.
Please write again about the location and how you are doing. !!!!!!
Old 11-04-2013, 06:25 PM

We go to Tucson. I am here now and bring my sewing machine. I pre cut quilts and projects. Our park has so many activities that you will always be busy. Our park has a quilt club and we make comfort quilts, take classes and visit local quilt shops with lunch after. There will probably be more things to do that you will want to come back next year. Have a great winter.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:43 PM

Where are you going? I live in Central Fl. I travel too and I always take too much. Pick projects or UFO's that you want to finish. I never finish all I take.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I love cold, snowy weather. If I went anywhere it would be to a colder area. Hot places are the last place I would want to go. I know My Daughter thinks I'm losing 'it'. I have always thought this way.
Have a safe trip and enjoy. Make sure you take enough hobby things to last.
I'm with you Jingle!! Heading "up north" on Thursday for a week of deer hunting! Guys hunt, I quilt!! Hopefully we'll get some snow!!
Old 11-05-2013, 03:52 AM

We usually go to South TX for the winter, and I take my featherweight. I sew on the kitchen table most times, but I do have a little fold up table that I also use... In our park we have one day a week that anyone who wants goes up to the recreation hall and quilts... Don't worry about not knowing anyone.. Most parks are full of wonderful ppl.. It is like your second family... There is lots to do in most parks. Cards, bingo, horse racing, woodcarving, dancing, dominoes, bunco, Ladies luncheons.etc. You will be glad you went... Have a wonderful winter... Bet you will hate to leave after 3 months..
Old 11-05-2013, 04:32 AM

I stayed in an RV for awhile and used the kitchen table for cutting and sewing. The only thing I had trouble with was sandwiching a quilt. Due to the design of that particular RV I couldn't get to the sides of the bed very easily and there was no large floor or table area.
Got several tops completed as well as quite a few swap block sets.
Have fun!
Old 11-05-2013, 05:35 AM

Where in Florida are you going?
Old 11-05-2013, 07:25 AM

I am also in South Florida (Jupiter area)....just moved here. Just wanted to make sure that you know about the World Quilt Show in West Palm Beach. www.worldquilt.com. I have never been, but plan on going this year.
Originally Posted by duckydo View Post
We usually go to South TX for the winter, and I take my featherweight. I sew on the kitchen table most times, but I do have a little fold up table that I also use... In our park we have one day a week that anyone who wants goes up to the recreation hall and quilts... Don't worry about not knowing anyone.. Most parks are full of wonderful ppl.. It is like your second family... There is lots to do in most parks. Cards, bingo, horse racing, woodcarving, dancing, dominoes, bunco, Ladies luncheons.etc. You will be glad you went... Have a wonderful winter... Bet you will hate to leave after 3 months..
Old 11-05-2013, 08:21 AM

DH and I go to Texas but last year went to Alabama, too cold there. Anyway, there is so much to do in the campground, usually a quilt group to join. I always take my sewing machine and all my necessaries: thread, mat, rotary cutter and extra blades. Then I find patterns of quilts I want to make and get all the yardage for that quilt, wrap it in a big plastic bag so it's all together. If you can find a luggage carrier that folds, it is perfect for hauling your sewing machine to the quilt group if they do that. Pack your stuff really good and put it on the floor in the back seat so if the dogs step on it, no harm done. If you want, you could just take your patterns and buy the fabric in Florida. People are friendly in the campgrounds and there are so many things to do and see. Drive around the area and see what is going on: flea markets, festivals etc. One thing I think is important is to subscribe to the local paper, you will find out what is happening in the area, don't just stay in the campground I do hope you have a wonderful time.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I love cold, snowy weather. If I went anywhere it would be to a colder area. Hot places are the last place I would want to go. I know My Daughter thinks I'm losing 'it'. I have always thought this way.
Have a safe trip and enjoy. Make sure you take enough hobby things to last.
I agree with you wholeheartedly! There's nothing I love more than to stand at the window and watch the snow fall (in Wyoming it's usually horizontally). A batch of cookies or bread baking in the oven, sitting at my sewing machine, wearing layers of clothes.....I know, I'm warped, but better than hot and not being able to take enough clothes off and still be hot and sluggish. For those of you who like hot, enjoy. The Alabama coast is very nice, the people are wonderful, and the food, yummm. I wish I could make up my mind--I like it there, I like the snow, but guess I'll bundle up and look at the mountains from my sewing room window.