Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Viking mega quilter issues >

Viking mega quilter issues

Viking mega quilter issues

Old 11-20-2013, 03:34 PM
Power Poster

I agree that a 16 is way too small a needle for a 30 wt thread. Go to a lighter thread like a 50 wt or put a bigger needle in. Your thread is shredding because the eye of the needle is too small for it.

Additionally, I am not real familiar with your machine but is it set up to have the spool vertical or horizontal. If vertical you may be using a crosswound spool which means the thread won't feed off the spool correctly for your set up. You need to go to cone thread or the long narrow spools like Aurifil or Connecting threads come in. This could also be causing your breaking issues.

As to your other issues, if you have a stitch regulator (which I do not think cruise control is, it is simply a mechanism to set your machine's speed) try cleaning the encoder wheels (where they glilde on the rails) with rubbing alcohol and qtip. Clean the rails as well. I know some SR need some sort of weight on them to make them ride the rails more consistently. Most people improvise something. Rice bags or dried beans or that sort of thing. If your Cruise control is simply a speed regulator you need to practice to match your speed to the speed of the machine. Moving too fast causes the big stitches, too slow the small stitches. Skipped stitches could be going back to that heavy thread, too small needle issue.

To tell the difference, turn your machine on with cruise control engaged or turned on. Is the needle going up and down when the machine is stationary? If so then you have a speed regulator NOT a stitch regulator so you won't have any encoder wheels. You need to practice to maintain an even stitch length.

Please let us know how you make out.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:13 AM

Change the brand of thread. Maybe what you are using is old, shop worn.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:30 AM
QKO

I have that same machine. It'll be happy with lots of different threads, provided you use the correct needle for the thread, and a good quality thread.

1st - change to a good quality needle, the best I've found are the Superior or Organ titanium topstitch needles. The topstitch has a larger eye, and a bigger groove that will allow the thread to flow through it better, with less shredding. Use this chart to figure out what needle to use:
For Size #70/10 - #100, 60 wt., & MonoPoly.For Size #80/12 - #50 (50 wt.) threads.For Size #90/14 - #40 (40 wt.) threads.For Size #100/16 - #30 (30 wt.) threads and thicker.

2nd - Use a good quality thread - I've used Aurifil, Superior and King Tut all with good results, and other good threads should work well also.

3rd - Double-check that your machine is threaded correctly, looking in the manual and threading exactly as shown. Any variation on the manual-recommended threading or thread feeding will cause mega-problems.

4th - reset and test your tension for every thread change and needle change. Very small changes in the tension wheel make for big differences in tension on this machine. Also, make sure to clean any lint from the tension wheel plates and needle area regularly.

5th - Clean and oil the machine with every bobbin change. This machine eats oil.

6th - Don't try to drive too fast. Set your machine speed down a bit and go slower until you get really practiced. If you do all of the above and are still breaking threads, you might be over-driving it.

Finally - don't get frustrated! When you dial it in it's a great machine!

Last edited by QKO; 11-21-2013 at 06:33 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:26 AM

Thank you for all the info. I am going to master the machine today!!! I haven't tried it for a few days.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:55 AM

I'm picking up mine tomorrow and will watch this threat with great interest. Good luck!
Old 11-30-2013, 07:11 PM

Any insight as to why my top thread is not catching the bobbin thread?
Old 11-30-2013, 07:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Holly Quilter View Post
That's usually a timing issue. Does your manual include instructions on how to re-time your machine?
Old 12-01-2013, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Holly Quilter View Post
Rethread your bobbin. if the bobbin isn't ran thru right it won't pick it up; been there and done that before.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

Also, thread won't pick up if the bobbin is in backwards (thread coming off the wrong way) or if you have the wrong bobbin for the machine.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:11 PM

Thanks. Hoping to try out these ideas in the next day or two.