Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
i need some....quiltboard wisdom and opinions. >

i need some....quiltboard wisdom and opinions.

i need some....quiltboard wisdom and opinions.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

What a great story. What memories you have. I love it.

Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo View Post
Do what you have to to get it to your Gran asap. She is going to love it no matter what, she already loves you.
We are not promised tomorrow, just saying. My Granny always make us quilt tops so when I make her the first quilt she every got from anyone it wasn't perfect, but it was made out of farm animal blocks she had given me, i made them into log cabin blocks using the animals as the centers and it was a quilt as you go and one of my first quilts, she loved and and slept with it all the time it was about 13 years before she passed and I now have it, but she was proud that I became a full quilter and she got to see my longarm and all before she passed. I did my first potholder quilted and all on her treadle.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:42 AM

Do whatever it takes to get it done, so you can give it to her. Regret would fill your heart if you didn't get to see the sweet look on her face when she receives your beautiful gift...........
Old 11-26-2013, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
If it was mine I wold sew it together and give my gran, without anymore quilting on the border. I would include a message will finish with love on my visits. Sit chat and enjoy her company and you hand stitch while you are visiting. She will enjoy your company and the quilt at the same time. My gran wanted visitors no matter when or what you do. My gran always left the most important thing to tell us to when we were leaving, just to keep us a few minutes longer.
The quilt even if WIP will keep her wrapped in love when you go.
This is great advice. I was working on a quilt last year for my Dad. I didn't finish it in time for Christmas so thought I'd finish it for his birthday in April but he died in January. None of us know how much time is allotted to us so I'd get it to her sooner rather than later.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:51 AM

GET IT DONE! I have a friend who started quilts for sick friends. She wanted to do them by hand, because she felt it would be more "authentic" , and you probably can guess how this ends. Unfortunately, they both passed away before the quilts were done. Was that better than doing the quilt by machine and having them love it? I'm thinking not. Or is there a way you can hand quilt ( if you are determined to do that) WITH your gran perhaps in the room? Then she couldn't at least see and appreciate your work.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:56 AM

You have received a lot of different advice here....and you must decide for yourself - but having loved ones pass - I would counsel you that giving your Gran the quilt is the most important thing. She will love it no matter what....and since there are in fact no quilt police - combining hand and machine quilting is a design decision !!
Old 11-26-2013, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

Good luck on what ever you do. Your Gran will love it no matter how it is done (it's from you). Hugs to you and your gran. BrendaK
Old 11-26-2013, 01:44 PM

Take a deep breath. Now, whatever you do she will be thrilled. Maybe you could consider doing what they call 'big stitch' quilting on the borders. It will look good and best of all look intentional, IMHO.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
If it was mine I wold sew it together and give my gran, without anymore quilting on the border. I would include a message will finish with love on my visits. Sit chat and enjoy her company and you hand stitch while you are visiting. She will enjoy your company and the quilt at the same time. My gran wanted visitors no matter when or what you do. My gran always left the most important thing to tell us to when we were leaving, just to keep us a few minutes longer.
The quilt even if WIP will keep her wrapped in love when you go.
This idea is even better than mine. I stand corrected.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by stillclock View Post
if i bind it without quilting that big border am i going to have a problem?
You are wise to anticipate problems. That border is only 10 inches. I would pin carefully, making sure the back and top are very smooth and lie together properly, then baste by hand or machine at the edge. Then sew the binding on as you normally would. You will be able to tell after the basting if everything is OK. On second thought, I think I would baste twice: once in the seam allowance, and another line about an inch into the quilt. That second line could come out when the binding is on.

The best of luck to you on a wonderful project. God Bless!
Old 11-26-2013, 06:25 PM

By all means, machine quilt the border of you need to in order to get it to your Grand soon. But, Aileen, if you have any friends that hand quilt, you might consider asking for help. Invite a few people over and have a little "bee." Most people would be willing to help out in a situation like this. I would.