Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Quilts made using vintage machines! >

Quilts made using vintage machines!

Quilts made using vintage machines!

Old 11-19-2013, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
The quilting was done on my Singers 15-91 and 128 HC.

REally, a hand crank?? Did your arm get sore? there is a lot of beautiful quilting on that. Do you have any comments or suggestions for HC quilting?
Old 11-19-2013, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
I love making scrap quilts, currently working on a String Star quilt.
I'm not sure which category to put it in though.
Here's a short video of me sewing some of the blocks. I'm using a 1914 Singer 115 treadle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aWI4...ature=youtu.be

Sharon W.

Great idea with that Ikea light, I've been thinking of getting one of those for all types of crafts and projects.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:47 AM
Banned

just thought folks would get a kick out of this, My mom is currently delivering her latest quilt to it's new owner in "Blockville NY" I actually asked her twice if she was just joking with the name of that town... LOL I said It would be fun to live on "Fat Quarter Dr."
Old 11-20-2013, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Redsquirrel View Post
Great idea with that Ikea light, I've been thinking of getting one of those for all types of crafts and projects.
The IKEA lamps are great, I can put the light where I need it. I got the idea from Bonnie Hunter's blog.
Sharon
Old 11-20-2013, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Redsquirrel View Post
REally, a hand crank?? Did your arm get sore? there is a lot of beautiful quilting on that. Do you have any comments or suggestions for HC quilting?
The part I quilted with the HC was the piano key borders. And, yes, my arm got tired at first. I worked on it till the arm was sore on the first day and the next day I could do more. I finished it in 3 days..... not quilting all day. But, I figured it was good exercise for my arm that I broke last year.

I should tell you that I LOVE quilting with vintage machines. I didn't even use a walking foot or darning foot with that 128HC..... it handled the thick sandwich just fine. And the 15-91 was also easy to use.... I did use a darning foot for the curved stitching. I've always had problems with the fabric shifting and getting tucks when I used my fancy Viking 1+..... so much that I didn't like machine quilting my stuff. But now I know, it's the machine, not me... Yeah!!
Old 11-27-2013, 03:19 PM

deng, you guys are so good. i still have to make my first one, ha ha ha. right now i am still in the process of cleaning and oiling and rehab my old sewing machines.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:15 PM

I made my first project on my new to me Singer 27-4 treadle and I learned a lot on how to sew with the treadle.
I enjoyed seeing you Sharon using the method of treadling that is supposed to make smoother stitching...my biggest problem is my less than smooth treadling.

This is a simple table runner and the buttons I used were found in the drawers when I bought the machine and cabinet at an auction!
Now I am doing parts of the Bonnie Hunter Celtic Solstice mystery to get more practice. I have found that doing a strip is easy enough but the starting and stopping makes it more challenging but eventually it will come easier.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131126_153724_335.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	449479  
Old 12-01-2013, 02:35 PM

Very nice work. Glad you like to treadle it is relaxing to me but the stopping is what gets me sometimes. Have fun with your machine. But, beware you can't own just one treadle. Ask me how I know.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:41 PM

Cathie, Nice job! Treadling gets easier the more you do it. The stopping and starting can be controlled by the hand-wheel. Just use your right hand to start the hand-wheel in motion and stop by placing your hand on the hand-wheel. After lots of treadling you will find that you will be able to sometimes start and stop with just using your feet. I'm looking forward to seeing your Celtic Solstice project.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-01-2013, 06:28 PM

Very nice, Cathie. I've been thinking of making a Christmas table runner but haven't done it yet. Maybe I should try it on the treadle.