Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Turkey stuffing >

Turkey stuffing

Turkey stuffing

Old 11-27-2013, 02:08 PM
Power Poster

Becel is a brand of heart healthy margarine for those of us with high cholesterol. That makes the whole holiday feast healthy, right?
Old 11-27-2013, 03:13 PM

Tartan, that is absolutely right! Take a cholesterol pill and eat up.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:37 PM
BCM

I'm with Bili and jrboxers, I always make cornbread dressing. My son does not like onions, nor the crunch of the celery. I use onion power and cream of celery soup, he is none the wiser. (Not as good as chopping the fresh, but he likes it-and now his family also.) I have some in the oven now and 2 small containers I placed in the freezer for later.
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
Old 11-27-2013, 03:54 PM

sour dough stuffing absolutely. chopped sautéed onions and celery, cube of melted butter and broth. bunch of chopped parsley, I do put it in the turkey half and half in a separate baking pan for those who like it with a crunch on top. Love love love the stuffing the very most .. then of course the fresh cranberry relish that is awfully good too of course there is the sweet potato bake.. too much food. there is simply too much good food at one sitting. hard to pick!
Old 11-27-2013, 06:06 PM

My DH makes the dressing at this house. He uses Petridge Farm Dressing mix, lots of onion and celery. His secret ingredient is bacon grease in the water that he mixes with the dressing (I know but its only a couple of times a year) and lots of back pepper. He also pulls the skin away from the breast of the turkey with the handle of a wooden spoon and stuffs the dressing between the breast and the skin. The bacon grease bastes the turkey breast. It is absolutely the moistest turkey I have ever eaten. He does it the way his German Grandpa did it. He is the only one in his family who still carries on the tradition besides his aunt who will be 100 years old on Christmas Day. This will be our 45th Thanksgiving and as long as he wants to do it, I'm game. I fix the rest of the meal.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:27 AM

Thank you to everyone, this has been a lovely thread. Happy Thanksgiving !
Old 11-28-2013, 03:53 AM

I also use sausage in my stuffing, remove the casings and sauté it with the celery and onions. We like hot sausage, but I will use morning sausage if I am serving it to people who don't like spicy/hot. Roasted chestnuts are also good and I add them when I remember to!
Old 11-28-2013, 07:14 AM

I make my Uncle Bud Dalton's dressing, it has everything : bread stuffing mix, onions , celery, mushrooms, sliced black olives, cooked crumbled sausage, chopped cooked giblets, butter, eggs, salt, pepper , lots of sage . My sister adds more stuff, I think she uses whatever is leftover in her fridge. I love stuffing.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
I do bread stuffing with the various breads saved over the past few months with celery, onions, turkey broth and various seasoning. It is the same my mother made and my husband's mom made the same type too. (Maybe that's why we have been married 40 years.)
Fondest memories were of "nipping" the whole/solid loaf of bread the night before for the stuffing. What an honor! Hahaha

Similar recipe... seasoning is only thyme, some salt, a little black pepper.
Saving the heels and any leftover buns, etc. is easy in the freezer (if you have some room) and instead of turkey broth, I just use water... Heck, by the time it's cooked INSIDE the turkey, it gets enough flavor. Any extra OUTSIDE can be doctored up with gravy! Yummmmm.......

Happy Hanukkah to our Jewish quilters.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:29 AM

Something I "invented" many years ago that works for us. We all like moist celery, onion and sage dressing with white bread. But there was never enough for us all just by stuffing the turkey. I, also discovered that if I made it separately in another pan I lost a lot because the dressing got too born on the bottom and sides.