Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Turkey stuffing >

Turkey stuffing

Turkey stuffing

Old 11-27-2013, 08:15 AM

Default Turkey stuffing

What kind of stuffing does everyone use on Thanksgiving? Does anyone have any really good recipes? I usually make chestnut stuffing but I didnt find chestnuts this year, and it's time for a change anyway.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:24 AM

My family likes Oyster dressing
Old 11-27-2013, 09:09 AM

Good ole fashioned cornbread stuffing/dressing with onions celery and lots of sage. yummmmm
Old 11-27-2013, 09:18 AM

I do bread stuffing with the various breads saved over the past few months with celery, onions, turkey broth and various seasoning. It is the same my mother made and my husband's mom made the same type too. (Maybe that's why we have been married 40 years.)
Old 11-27-2013, 09:25 AM
Power Poster

I do a bread stuffing separate from the turkey. I do a large batch by memory and feel. I cube up a loaf and 1/2 of regular sandwich bread the night before in a huge bowl. The next day I fill my saucepan with 1/2 in. pieces of potatoes (2-3) a cup of sliced celery, a large cooking onion chopped, a couple of cups of mixed frozen vegetables and a cup of sliced carrots. I cover that with water and let them simmer until the carrots and potatoes are slightly softened. I sprinkle the stale bread with poultry seasoning and 2 tablespoon of Becel. I use a slotted spoon to spoon the vegetables over the bread. I mix up the stuffing and slowly drizzle the veg/water over the stuffing until the bread is just moist. You don't want it soggy as the stuffing with steam in the oven for an hour before serving. I put it in a small roasting pan with lid and cook at 350 for an hour or longer depending on the turkey.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Good ole fashioned cornbread stuffing/dressing with onions celery and lots of sage. yummmmm
That's ^^^ our family recipe. The only change from my grandma making it and my making it is we use sourdough instead of regular bread. My MIL used to make a totally white bread dressing and it was SLIMY!!!!

And now, after almost 26 years of marriage, he admits that he LOVES our cornbread dressing and really hated his mom's but never had an alternative.

And this year we have onions and sage from our garden. LOVE IT!!!!
Old 11-27-2013, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by jrhboxers View Post
That's ^^^ our family recipe. The only change from my grandma making it and my making it is we use sourdough instead of regular bread. My MIL used to make a totally white bread dressing and it was SLIMY!!!!

And now, after almost 26 years of marriage, he admits that he LOVES our cornbread dressing and really hated his mom's but never had an alternative.

And this year we have onions and sage from our garden. LOVE IT!!!!
Thats too funny the biggest change I have made is using a varriety of stale breads I keep in the freezer through the year to mix in with the corn bread. That's so cool that you are using your garden produce this year.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:23 PM

Tartan: what is Becel?
Old 11-27-2013, 01:25 PM

I decided on cornbread dressing and made a pan of cornbread this afternoon. I plan to use the stale white bread for a summer pudding in case someone doesn't like pumpkin pie. Thank you, everyone, for the ideas!
Old 11-27-2013, 02:01 PM

I make my mom's old wonderful recipe. My husband's family us to make it with Oysters. I don't do that but it was good too.