Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Update on my Shark iron... >

Update on my Shark iron...

Update on my Shark iron...

Old 11-29-2013, 03:51 PM

Default Update on my Shark iron...

Thought I would give an update on my iron...I have not had my Professional Shark iron even three months, and am already dissatisfied with it.

First of all, had to quit using the steam on it about a month ago, and just use a spray bottle. It splutters and spits all over creation when I have water in it and want to use steam.

Then there is the auto shut-off. It automatically shuts off...the actions to turn it back on varies. I cannot just slide the lever down to turn it off and then slide it back up to turn it back on. Almost always have to set it like I am actually ironing and have the bottom of the iron hit the ironing board a pretty good tap...and a few times I have actually had to unplug it and plug it back in.

I don't even feel like it gets as hot as it did for a while. I can iron and iron pieces in the same spot...and the ironing surface never gets that hot.

I was at Sears the other day and checked to see if they had B&D digital advantage irons...they didn't. That is where I got my old one.

I suppose I will live with this one at least for a while, but I am disappointed in it. Knowing the way our luck runs, I would go get one like my old one and get a lemon....I am forever the one that gets up to the cash register and will either have the item that doesn't have a tag on it, or the price has to be looked up, etc.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:01 PM
Power Poster

I got a couple of backup Rowenta irons at Goodwill in case my 15+yo Rowenta ever bites the dust. (It bit the concrete floor -- twice -- but has done well with duct tape and some kind of glue my dh put it back together with.) If you have thrift shops nearby, check them out; you could get lucky. Mine were about $5 each. Be sure to plug them in before purchasing to make sure they get hot quickly.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:06 PM
Banned

Contact the company.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:24 PM

I am with you. I have bought 2 sharks and the second just went out on me. That is what I get for buying it twice.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:29 PM

I thought about getting an expensive iron when my old one died. But finances were tight and I just couldn't do it. So I bought a Hamilton Beach at Target for about $35 or so a year ago. It gets hot very quickly and the steam is great, no sputters at all. I hope you can get the issues with your iron fixed.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:21 PM

I bought one of those little lovies awhile back...like you, I shoulda saved my money. What a total PIA...and no, I'm so tired of dealing with Rowenta and their POS's that I just said "no more" when it came to dealing with Shark. I am using an old Rowenta without steam which distresses me greatly: why, in this age of advanced electronics, has no one managed to come up with a decent professional iron? Just an iron that does exactly what we buy them for for: to iron! And one that will work for more than 2-3 months before it goes bonkers? Rowenta? Shark? Other makers? ARE YOU LISTENING??
Old 11-29-2013, 05:35 PM
Power Poster

One tip about steam irons. Be sure the steam is set to off when the iron is warming up. The iron has to be at steam temp before turning the steam on. This will eliminate most all of the spitting and sputtering. If you have auto shut off you have to turn the steam off and wait until it heats up again to turn back on. If the steam setting is left on even if the iron is hot, it will spit and sputter when tilted. The water hits the heated metal and sputters to steam instantly. I got in the habit of turning the setting to off each time I'm done using it.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:38 PM

I bought my BD at Wal-mart.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:47 PM

BellaBoo, thank you for the tip. I didn't know about turning irons off to keep them form sputtering.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:30 PM

I'm a slow learner--I've been through three Shark irons in the past year and all three began sputtering and spitting and messing up clothes. I iron a LOT and they sputter and spit for the duration of a 2-hour ironing session. I just tossed the third one and replaced it with a Hamilton Beach. So far, so good!!!