Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Update on my Shark iron... >

Update on my Shark iron...

Update on my Shark iron...

Old 12-01-2013, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by PokerDiva View Post
I am with you. I have bought 2 sharks and the second just went out on me. That is what I get for buying it twice.
This is what I did with Rowenta--first one decided to stop heating up and the 2nd one leaked--got smart and bought a Reliable but also have a cheaper iron that works great.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:33 PM

I paid $5 at macy's for my Shark. My DH said it was a piece of junk. Well, I've had it for about 3 years. It doesn't sputter at all. I have 2 complaints: I don't think it heats up enough and shuts off quickly. I only use it if I want steam otherwise I use one of the plain old irons I got at The Salvation Army. They really get hot so much so I have to turn them down to almost wool but I sure love them. I've had two rowentas that started sputtering soon after I bought them. I would love a reliable but read an article which said they were good but heavy. It was an article compairing irons.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:59 PM
Power Poster

since due to someone else or the cat always knocking my irons over, I get the cheapest one at the store that spits out steam. Usually I spend $10-13 on sale. this way if it does break , oh well. I had an auto shut off once way back when, it never seemed to get hot enough. thanks for the info on yours. and sorry about it not working up to parr
Old 12-01-2013, 04:04 PM

I had a Rowenta that survved many years of sewing, tailoring and quilting and also several trips to the floor as happy
grands tore thru the house and I did not grab them fast enough. Then I tore both rotator cuffs and could not lift the
heavy Rowenta. DD came home with one - also too heavy-- then a Shark. Oohboy!! It has to be begged to start, it sputters and spits water everywhere no matter how long it is on, and keeping it on long enough to press something is a major pain, with another start more difficult than the first. I hate it but it is lighter in weight and DD thinks I should just be grateful !! What to do with it! And what to buy after reading this board??
Old 12-01-2013, 04:47 PM

I have a Sunbeam that I have had for about 12 years. Use it nearly daily......and no problems whatsoever. It still steams with no sputtering (and I use tap water as I was told I could). Does have the automatic shut off but all I have to do is tip it down and it takes right off again in no time. Don't know the model because I am not home but I paid around $50 for it back them. It has surly earned it's keep.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:50 PM

I didn't read all the way through 5 pages to see if anyone else suggested a T-Fal.. I have had 2 the first one I gave to my daughter because her cat knocked it off my ironing board (on a concrete floor) and bent the tip. I bought another right away. The other one worked fine I just like to have a tip..
Old 12-01-2013, 05:09 PM

I bought a 1950's no steam iron at a junk store for $5. I love this thing! It weighs about a ton, gets screaming hot and never shuts off. I'm looking for more at other junk stores just in case it wears out.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:14 PM

I hope those who have lemon irons notify the companies that your product is not as advertised, you are unhappy and will definitely tell all your friends NOT to purchase one. You may not get a replacement, but if enough of us let them know maybe some suit will wake up and see what the prob is. As far as Jenny Doan now using Oliso iron, notice she now uses a babylock sewing machine now too. Her initial tutes were using a non descript iron and a simple singer sewing machine...can tell when someone becomes popular things they use become more defined......
Old 12-02-2013, 10:50 AM

I bought an inexpensive Hamilton Beach at Walmart and it's a jewel! I think I paid $15
Old 12-02-2013, 12:22 PM

Me I buy like many the cheapest iron going as I don't get on with them. A few months work and they give up. My mother had an iron as a wedding gift it was just as good 60 years later. The family say I don't mix with irons.