Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrap quilt - mixing fabrics >

Scrap quilt - mixing fabrics

Scrap quilt - mixing fabrics

Old 12-04-2013, 12:49 PM

I have found using a color catcher when washing my quilts is a big help.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:21 PM
Power Poster

Not even knowing that this site existed, here is a look at my postage stamp quilt. All scraps of all kinds.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...y-t221640.html

peace

EDIT I also agree about pre washing. I f I come across scraps and don't know if they have been washed, I just put them in a dish tub and swish the water a little, let them soak, then rinse. Press out most of the water and toss in dryer till damp dry, then starch &n press for use.
peace

Last edited by ube quilting; 12-04-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:41 PM

Oh man for a newbie as you call yourself your taking on a lot. As lovely as this pattern is I don't think you realize the time involved. Now that being said if you have considered this than go for it. But do take a look at Bonnie Hunter and her amazing patterns. Good luck.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:50 PM

I use all sorts of quilting fabrics in my scrap quilts. This is my latest log cabin charity quilt. It won Honorable Mention at my Quilt Guild's show in October of this year. The quilt judge was amazed at the number of fabrics in my quilt, there's over 200.
Sharon
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Smokey Mountain Stars 001.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	449957  
Old 12-04-2013, 08:03 PM

Looked at the website that had that scrappy quilt on it and it is named Scrap Vomit and it is very pretty. In fact I saved it so I can make one like it. To each his/her own.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:14 PM

I like the pattern and think it could be a good project for a newer quilter. All the pieces are square, no triangles or other funny shapes with bias edges that could be challenging.

I mix prewashed and -- traditional and batik fabrics all the time. If you have one you are concerned about, wash it.

I love Bonnie Hunter, too. If you are interested in scrap quilts, you should realy take some time to explore her website, quiltville.com

I agree with the concerns regarding the thin or loose weave fabrics. If you use them, you will probably be sorry in the not so distant future.

Play with the colors and have fun! Enjoy your gift!
Old 12-05-2013, 04:41 AM

I mix all sorts of prints, batiks, solids together. But I do work in one simple fabric to pull the quilt together, in every block. To me scrappies need a calm place for the eye to rest, which enhances the multicolors of the scrappy.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:36 AM

It's YOUR quilt, romille, so you ARE the boss of your quilting! If you already have a bunch of 2.5" squares, you could make the quilt using Bonnie Hunter's "leaders and enders" method. I would recommend pre-washing the gift fabric in hot water so shrinkage happens before you sew it -- normally I don't prewash, but with fabric of unknown origin, it's a good idea!
And "scrap vomit" is just a fun name, don't let it put you off!
Old 12-07-2013, 07:44 PM

I used to never mix batiks with "regular" fabrics but not anymore. There are no rules...do what makes your heart sing. however....I'm generally not a big believer in "pre-washing" but if you mix batiks (which have been pre-shrunk) with other cottons, or flannels with flat cottons...you might want to pre-shrink everything before piecing. that's my only comment
Old 12-08-2013, 04:21 PM

Here is what I do with a bunch of totally unrelated materials with totally unrelated patterns. I pick up on piece then the next piece has to have one color in it from the first piece. I continue this. This way your batiks won't be out of place as the eye and brain will see it connected. Also, using this method with solids I will end the deliberate patterning with a solid and then start color matching again with a new color of solid, which means two solids together. I organize by stacking and then just sew how many across for my row and continue through the stack for the next row. It is that "controlled scrap" mentioned above, I guess.