Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Please share your ideas for hidden storage >

Please share your ideas for hidden storage

Please share your ideas for hidden storage

Old 11-30-2013, 02:28 PM

I like the idea of using an ottoman to store projects or some yarn or fabric.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:01 PM

Ok I have read through a lot of the replies and I still don't see where there is truly hidden storage so I decided to break out my camera and show you how I handle "hidden storage".

To give an idea what you are looking at, in my kitchen I needed some extra space to hide things but wanted them to be readily accessible. So what better way then to kick in the wall and use the unused part as a hiding place, while still using the outside as a place to hang my kitchen tools. I did leave the bottom open so I could get to the cook books without having to open to sliding peg board. But if you think about this way of doing things, I'm sure you will find room to hide stuff. Instead of using a peg board, you could use a picture or a mirror or anything else you can think of in place of it. And no I didn't buy an expensive sliding door hanger, I used a set of sliding drawer brackets and flipped one upside down when mounting it. My hubby loves how I fix things around here. LOL I think it's because he doesn't have to. LOL
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Closed.JPG
Views:	1349
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	449369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Opened.JPG
Views:	1333
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	449370  
Old 11-30-2013, 10:04 PM

I like the wall cubbyhole idea and have seen it done for bathrooms and kitchens. However, my husband would say no to me putting holes in our brand new walls. lol. I do like the idea though but..our walls are only about 3.5" thick. You must have thicker walls to be able to fit cookbooks and all that other stuff in there.

thanks for all the ideas so far! I'll have to keep my eyes open for furniture that would work for me.

Last edited by gale; 11-30-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:04 PM

I hid mine in my neighbors spare bedroom , true story.... I can come and go as a I please when I need something .
Old 12-01-2013, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by gale View Post
I like the wall cubbyhole idea and have seen it done for bathrooms and kitchens. However, my husband would say no to me putting holes in our brand new walls. lol. I do like the idea though but..our walls are only about 3.5" thick. You must have thicker walls to be able to fit cookbooks and all that other stuff in there.

thanks for all the ideas so far! I'll have to keep my eyes open for furniture that would work for me.

Your right this wall had a lot more room behind it since it was used as a plumbing wall at one time. But if you didn't want to go to deep, you could build a frame which extends out from the wall a few extra inches and do the same thing. It's just gives you more options and a new way of looking at what is there.

BTW tell your hubby "He's no fun", not letting you kick in a wall, what's up with that? LOL
Old 12-01-2013, 12:11 PM

I love the ideas. I'm afraid if I find a way to truly hide anything I'll forget where they are -- like my glasses, my keys, my brain Afraid the senior moments are no longer just moments -- got to keep laughing. Joyce
Old 12-04-2013, 01:23 PM

Use boxes bottled water comes in to put book & magazine in then slide them under a chair or couch.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:44 PM
Power Poster

Check out some of the threads in this section and start thinking of your spaces. You may be surprised at what you can come up with. Lots of great ideas.
If I can;t keep everything in it's place or hidden behind closed doors -- out it goes. I donate anything I don't want or will use. I have kitchen cabinets in my sewing room, bought especially for that use. 90" countertop ontop of the base cabinets. I have two large closets with the wire shelves to store large, medium and small amounts of fabrics on. I store rolls of poly batting, large bag of scrap batting, rubbermaid storage boxes and small boxes of scraps, ironing board, sewing machine table. I still have a couple of empty upper cabinets. I now have a perfect for me sewing room.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by JoyceHoopes View Post
I love the ideas. I'm afraid if I find a way to truly hide anything I'll forget where they are -- like my glasses, my keys, my brain Afraid the senior moments are no longer just moments -- got to keep laughing. Joyce

Make a word. Doc. Save it on your computer. List your hiding places and what is hidden. I used to do that with Christmas gifts. I can relate to senior moments.

sandy
Old 12-07-2013, 09:18 AM

boy I'd like to see a picture of that. Thanks for that idea