Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt patterns that have universal appeal >

quilt patterns that have universal appeal

quilt patterns that have universal appeal

Old 12-02-2013, 09:28 PM

This is so funny!Just last night I ask a question on this board as to what kind of pattern I could use to help my sister make with the 6 brown fabrics she just brought home. I could not wrap my mind around a brown quilt ,because I love color.I was told to google brown quilts. My eyes have been opened to many brown quilts and maybe I will help her to create a beautiful brown brick road, or a take 5 or a d9p(using only 3 fabrics) so I quess we are off to quilt on brown.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:47 AM

I think a well done scrappy in a traditional pattern with a background color that gives the quilt a sense of cohesiveness will always stand the test of time. My personal favorite is a quilt my mom made in the 60's from all the scraps left from all of our home sewn clothing. It is a simple star pattern with a hot pink border.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
I have always thought the Churn Dash pattern was universally appealing.
This probably doesn't belong on this thread, but the other day, I took a Churn Dash block, cut it in four pieces and made a D9P out of it. The resulting block was really cute. And I must say, I have never really cared for Churn Dash.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:39 AM

I happen to really like brown but had never considered making a brown quilt. Like someone mentioned previously, I googled brown quilts. There are some real show stoppers out there, especially when paired with other colors. I also happen to be very fond of bright colors (probably one reason I like making kid quilts) and I do prefer more modern designs. And I'm not young by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:25 PM

This is interesting! My ddil has requested a taupe, lt blue, gray and chocolate quilt. Sat what?
Old 12-04-2013, 12:09 AM

That would not be to my taste, but I can imagine it could be beautiful. Try googling "quilt, and list the colors for inspiration?
Old 12-04-2013, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by ranger View Post
I couldn't sleep last night. When that happens, I occupy my mind with quilting thoughts. Last night I started thinking about quilt patterns that would appeal to a large number of people. I figured that the old classic patterns and colors would have the greatest appeal. They seem to keep popping up through the decades. Scrappy patterns would also fit in there.

Then, this morning, I'm thinking that those are my favorite patterns, so that influenced my choices. I think that younger people would be drawn to more 'modern' patterns.
What do you think? Are there patterns and colour schemes that have universal appeal?
How strictly do you want to define "universal"?

NOPE, you'll never please everyone with one single pattern. HOWSOMEEVER-----I think some of the old standards are universally accepted.

I dislike the double wedding ring, but most people seem to like it.

LOG CABINS come in so many variations there's usually one someone likes.

Simple blocks like the OHIO STAR are well liked.

The snowball and 9 patch seems to be popular.

Again, I believe you can make most any pattern to suit someone, usually depending on hte fabric/color shoices.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:02 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]449968[/ATTACH]This is the brown quilt I made for my son--brown has its place as does white and black...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Dean Quilt 1 Aug 2008.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	449968