Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Color of the year for 2014 >

Color of the year for 2014

Color of the year for 2014

Old 12-06-2013, 01:27 PM
RST

One thing that I find interesting as a quilter is that I like to work with my own favorite colors -- things that are pleasing to my tastes. But recipients of quilts I gift are often far more attuned to the mass-market and the trends there. Consequently, quilts that I've made in trendy color schemes (yellow and gray, or aqua, pink, and red) get a lot of attention and are more appealing to a wider group than combos that are my favorites. Also, when you make a quilt for home decor use, it's nice to have it work well with dominant colors. With so many silver and gray neutrals in home decor, those warm beiges and creams that many quilters still gravitate to just don't work out so well.

You know that in about a month we're going to be tempted to wail about lovingly-crafted, beautiful quilts we slaved over given to under-appreciative loved ones who just keep it in the closet. I think that sometimes the less than whole hearted reception is because we're being stubborn about what colors we like, refusing to go with trends, doing our own thing. Obviously, a quilt is made to last longer than the color of the year and you don't want to make something that is "so 2014", but the thing is -- color of the year affects the sheet available on the market, the rugs, the paint colors, the curtains, even what "looks right" to people who are in that phase of life where they are buying and creating their homes.

I won't lie. I don't like orchid, and I probably won't use much of it in my quilting. But I will keep it in mind that this is a trend, and I'll probably make more quilts and pillows and such that will coordinate or blend well with good old radiant orchid.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by sbeddingfield View Post
my color of the year is whatever I have already bought for friends and family - in other words - their fav. color. But I also sew for my precious gdaughter and her fav color is purple - so - guess I may be using the color of the year after all. Ha.

well, I am in ft. worth and teach but because of the bad weather (all you people in the cold states can laugh - it's ok) school was called off so I will be spending this surprise day off at my machine finishing some Christmas projects - I am so happy!!

Blessings to you all,
Scherrie
If school had not been called off here, there'd be a few school officials listed in tomorrow's obits. I'm trying to get out to refill the bird feeder and may not even get that done.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:38 PM
DJ

I could embrace this color should I have the opportunity. Of course I need to finish some UFOs before I move to any new projects and colors. I loved last year's emerald!
Old 12-06-2013, 02:46 PM

I would hardly call that purple.... Barnie is purple.... I think the "color of the year" is awful. It reminds me of the dress my dearly departed aunt was buried in. Sure won't be spending any money on that.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:26 PM

I like purple too! Pantone sets the world's fashion and textile industry on the path for that year's designs. I've read and researched to understand more about it. What I don't understand is how they determine what the color will be. Anyone know?
Old 12-06-2013, 05:10 PM

I'm with you. I work from my stash. On a limited income, I have to work with what I have.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:54 PM

Radiant Orchid reminds me of the grayish-purpleish color of my mother's bedroom. Every house we lived in had to have a bedroom painted in that awful color. I go for bright, clear colors; not ones that are muddied by mixing colors up and calling them by fancy names. I think I will pass on this one (but I am not a purple hater, I have used it many times).
Old 12-06-2013, 06:00 PM

I'm still stuck in Turquoise (2010).
Old 12-06-2013, 06:02 PM

One thing is sure if thats the color it means the other colors are out there for us to purchase without much of a problem because everyone else is just want the purple line etc. But all we have is boys--no purple here. I know a guild that is run by an In Home Quilt Shop so she will make sure to sell to her captive audiance --orchard. I like a well rounded stash and have one of all colors for use when I need it. But I do have 1 friend that loves rich purple, not orchard.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:06 PM

I must really be out of touch with the real world....hadn't the foggiest notion that Emerald was the big color this year. Don't even remember it in the stores or the quilt shop I frequent. The marketing of it went right over my head! I like the orchid, but it would probably take a special color palette to get me to use it in a quilt. Had the lavender bedroom when I was 7, and my mother said it looked like the Easter Bunny lived there!