Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Store Bought Vs. Handmade Or Homemade Gifts For The Holidays-Or Anytime >

Store Bought Vs. Handmade Or Homemade Gifts For The Holidays-Or Anytime

Store Bought Vs. Handmade Or Homemade Gifts For The Holidays-Or Anytime

Old 12-08-2013, 03:41 PM

Gramma Nancy,

I am shocked that your hubby thinks you have a "hang-up" to expect common courtesy esp, in regard to a "thank you" for gifts given. I no longer send $$ to my niece and nephew because if they do not have the time to acknowledge my gifts...I , too, am strapped for time to send them. They have time to post on Facebook, text their friends, etc. I dont expect a handwritten note to me...I am sure that they have never been taught to do so. (Along with many a bride!) BUT, i would love a phone call, an email , or a text..to acknowledge the gift.

I sent $50 to the daughter of a good friend of mine, for her high school graduation. The check cleared within days of my mailing it to her. No thank you or any acknowledgement of the gift. She graduates college next year. I might send a greeting card ....but no $$. Sad.

sandy
Old 12-08-2013, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by patchsamkim View Post
I exchange gifts every year with a group of quilting friends..have gotten some wonderful handmade gifts and I treasure each and every one. Gifts don't have to be made, can be purchased, but is seems most of us at least make part of the gift. In a week we will be having our party....always my favorite party of the year.
After the party, do tell what some of the gifts were so we have ideas for next year as I am running out of ideas.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:25 PM

A lot of people think hand made gifts are done cheaply, but I find the materials used to make handmade gifts are more expensive than some store bought gifts. My daughter-in-law and my nieces don't like quilts are handmade gifts so needless to say they don't receive them. I feel any gift someone gives you should be appreciated and used at least once. That is a lesson that I was taught by my mom.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:26 PM

I agree with granny64. I used to make gifts for family members but discovered that they really were not appreciated. After discovering items in a garage sale one month after they received them, I got the message. I buy gift cards for them and all the quilts I make are mine unless someone specifically asked for one of them. I have sewn clothing which a professional tailor told me was of excellent quality. So it was not that I gave them poorly made gifts. No everyone likes quilts as much as we quilters like to make them.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:02 PM

My DIL came home with a donated baby quilt the last time her two month old baby had surgery. She pulled it out of the bag showing what the baby received at the hospital. She said Here, you can donate this quilt." I thought how much effort had gone into cutting, piecing, machine quilting, binding, and how I don't even know how to machine quilt yet and none of this was appreciated. She is young, ... I was going to make the baby a quilt, had the charm packs, fat quarters, all those shades of pink, but I am hesitant to take my precious time to make a quilt. Her friends have bought her quilts and she loves the minky....quilts. Easier by far. It is about giving, I understand. BUT I don't even have the time to run all over stores to shop. CASH works and I know it is limited.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:39 AM

The only people who get my quilts are wounded soldiers and foster children. I know they all love getting the comfort quilts I make. I think its sad that people don't appreciate the time and effort that goes into a hand made item.
Other people in my extended family don't appreciate hand made anything, they prefer store bought things. So I save the time I'd have spent making a quilt. I also don't get thank you notes or even a phone call when things arrive.
My SIL only shows the back of the wedding quilt I made for her and my BIL. I made baby quilts for their children, I wanted to make twin size quilts when they were older, she told me that they have enough blankets.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

I always ask for preference in gift giving. If they say this store or that store etc. etc. then I just get a generic (VISA etc.) type gift card. They can use for anything anywhere. Last year my son was low on cash (after Christmas) and needed groceries. He and his girlfriend both were able to get groceries with the card.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

I didn't spend that much on my niece's quilt and diaper stacker that I made but the cat ended up using the diaper stacker and the dogs ended up with the quilt in the whelping bed. Then everything got pitched. The same niece's daughter is learning how to sew (8 yr old). Got an apology from 8yr old with tears. She got mad at her mom when she found out who made the quilt in one of her baby photos. She told her mom she wouldn't make her one if all she did was throw it in the trash.From the mouths of babes.
Originally Posted by Froggiey View Post
Made a queen size stack and whack for someone ONCE. All I got was a text message. " Awe it's beautiful." Not that I wanted her to bow down, just thought a phone call would have been nice. I spent several months on fabric which cost me around $120 altogether then paid $150 for someone to quilt and another $30 for mailing. That taught me that not everybody appreciates my quilts. Glad I can't see it now. It might be used as a dog blanket.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

The bag game you played is similar to the game we had at an office party. Quite fun.
Originally Posted by palandrum View Post
Well, I guess I have a different view. I sew items because I enjoy the process. It gives me a lot of pleasure in choosing the pattern, the materials, and then seeing it come together through my efforts. Nothing can take away the enjoyment of the hours I spend just creating. When I give some of my work as a gift that also gives me a good feeling - just being able to be a giver instead of a taker. I do not give in order to be appreciated, I give because it makes ME feel good and gives me happiness inside. One of the best times I have EVER had at Christmas was a year I took everything I had made and placed them in unmarked packages. As the family arrived (siblings and families) each person got a number. After our Christmas meal, I had all the numbers in a cup and one of my great-nephews got to be the chooser. The rule was, your number called, you got to pick a bag and open it. The next person who got called got to choose and open a bag. That person could choose to keep their item OR one of the items previously received by someone else! There were about 25 at the gathering and I had a blast watching the maneuverings to get the item they really wanted - especially with spouses and in family groups. The smiles, laughter and warmth from that occasion are with me still today - and no lack of appreciation of the gift can take that away. To me, that is what giving at Christmas is all about - the joy of giving - not what it gets me in return. I mean no offense to anyone as I know that is not the standard of society, but it's just the way it works for me. Merry Christmas to All!
Old 12-14-2013, 08:32 PM

I wanted to update this thread in time for the rapidly approaching Holidays about to happen. Just this morning, I shipped off the only gift outside of my immediate family given in the spirit of the Holidays. I included the just completed Five And Ten Minute Blocks (or also known as the 1 seam Flying Geese & the 3 seam Diamond Blocks) Bed Runner photos which is only partially viewable (so sorry I don't have a Queen or King Size Bed around here for it's proper display and expanded width photograph) on my sewing table and tucked inside it's storage bag just before I packed it up for shipment for your enjoyment below. I understand the risks involved when one gives a handmade gift. These gifts take so much time and money and just might be rejected in some form or fashion. I have it's completed photos, the original sketch (uploaded here on the first post of this thread if you are interested) of how it looked like, and in it's storage bag for shipment and that is enough for me. Besides, I think I will continue to make those Ribbon Outer Casing Drawstring Gift Bags (i.e. the storage bag) as they are so easy and quick to do. The Bed Runner is one that will be done when I have the room for a proper size bed like a Queen or King size one.

Please be sure to have a Happy Holidays Season for all of you here on the Quilting Board and have a prosperous New Year as well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ten Minute  Smaller Sized Block  Sharpened At 50% Reduction Final Copy.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	956.2 KB
ID:	451865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ten Minute Smaller Sized Block Storage Bag Sharpened At 50% Reduction Final Copy.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	451866  

Last edited by Bicycle Hobo; 12-14-2013 at 08:43 PM.