Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Beef Brisket >

Beef Brisket

Beef Brisket

Old 12-14-2013, 10:28 AM

Default Beef Brisket

I don't particularly like beef brisket. My mom never made it and my mother-in-law boils it. Yuk, dry, stringy and bland. I refuse to make it like this.

My husband loves brisket. Does anyone have a favorite recipe to share? How long should it cook and on what temperature. I've heard it should be in the oven all day at a low heat (325)

Thank you all
Old 12-14-2013, 10:47 AM
Power Poster

It's a perfect cut for the crockpot ... will tenderize it and let your add-ins flavour it.

I'd elevate it in the crock pot (eg. upside down bowl) so it does not have to sit in the pool of grease that will accumulate as it cooks. Add a bit of liquid (broth? canned tomatoes? tomato juice? even water?) along with seasonings of choice. Perhaps some whole or chopped onions too.

Let it brew away while you busy yourself in the sewing room!!!
Old 12-14-2013, 10:56 AM
ro
Banned

look on foodnetwork.com barefoot contessa has a great recipe.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

This is one of the best recipes I have ever used.

1c. catsup
1c. water
2 tbsp. vinegar (apple cider)
1 med. onion sliced thin
1 tbsp. horseradish
t tbsp. prepared mustard
2 tbsp. minced garlic
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 (4 lb.) beef brisket
2 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. brown sugar

Combine everything well, add meat and marinate overnight in frig.
place meat and marinade in roast pan. Cover and bake at 300 degrees for about 5 hours or until tender.
let rest on cutting board for 15 min. Slice on the diagonal.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:59 PM

My son smoke it usually all night (in his smoker ) and it is tender and full of flavor
Old 12-15-2013, 04:27 PM

Try placing your brisket in roaster and pour over 10oz. worchestershire sauce and small bottle of liquid smoke. Bake at 275* for 1 hour per pound . Slice thin , remove grease from juices and serve hot. There is seldom any left over .
Old 12-15-2013, 05:48 PM

I use a large turkey bag, and cook the brisket in the oven for 3 hours. When cool enough to slice do so in a large pan or dish I use a 9x13 cake dish.. I layer the brisket with bar b q sauce and either refrigerate overnight or cover with aluminum foil and bake in 350 oven about 1/2 hour and it is so tender that you can cut it with a fork. Have made brisket this way for years. One thing to remember is when baking place the fat side on top so the juices stay in the brisket and don't slice it until it has cooled.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:46 AM

absolutely use crock pot, it will be good no matter how you season it.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Kooklabell View Post
I don't particularly like beef brisket. My mom never made it and my mother-in-law boils it. Yuk, dry, stringy and bland. I refuse to make it like this.

My husband loves brisket. Does anyone have a favorite recipe to share? How long should it cook and on what temperature. I've heard it should be in the oven all day at a low heat (325)

Thank you all
Hi Kooklabell, when I was first married -- oh um-- fifty four years ago! our local butcher advised me that brisket was the most tasty meat to cook.Make sure there is some natural fat on the meat for flavour. Then seal in a little beef fat at a fairly high temp' then place it on a bed of browned veg in a cast iron casserole, add beef stock,just a quarter of the way up the joint.Place on the lid,into the oven at a low temp for about 1 1/2 hours, check all the time after that.Sometimes I add 1/2 beef stock 1/2 stout beer or red wine instead of just stock.When cooked, drain of the liquid for gravy.Brisket beats all the most expensive joints and it will be so tender.The same goes for shin beef for a casserole,cube it, coat in sesoned flour, brown it off add veg and stock, or stock and beer/wine, season and cook slowly.If you want to turn that into a goulash add paprika, tomatoes,just a teaspoon of curry powder. The secret is slowly! Gosh don't get me going on cheaper cuts, sorry. Enjoy , love Letty
Old 12-16-2013, 11:36 AM

If you have access to a sauce called Clyde's or Claude's in a glass jar, it makes the best & easiest brisket ever. You put the meat into a Reynold's cooking bag, that is in a baking pan for support, & dump the entire bottle of sauce all over the meat. Close up the bag & put in frig overnight. Throw meat, bag & all into the oven & bake for 4 hours. The directions & temp for oven are on the bottle. This is so good & moist & flavorful.