Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
72 Shades of Black!?! >

72 Shades of Black!?!

72 Shades of Black!?!

Old 12-05-2013, 11:04 AM

That reminds me of my DD - we were getting ready to go somewhere and I put on a black shirt and a pair of black pants and she said "You do realize that your blacks don't match" - LOL
Old 12-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

I think black is one color that can vary widely, as with some reds. It pays to double check and bring a sample with you when picking out fabric. I had a quilt teacher tell me that at times you should check the bolt in sunlight or a bright window and not just fluorescent lights, as it changes the color of the fabric.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:52 AM

Here is another problem with black. I bought a bolt of black. I was putting borders on 3 quilts. Got them all done. Was ironing them and looked at the borders on all 3 quilts one border was off black.(a little gray or washed out.) had to take them all off. Found about 2 yards in the middle of the bolt that didn't have the same color. So always check your bolt.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:36 AM

If you put on polarizing sunglasses you will see the differences in the whole spectrum of colors, especially the darker ones!
Old 12-06-2013, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Evie View Post
If you put on polarizing sunglasses you will see the differences in the whole spectrum of colors, especially the darker ones!
Evie, What a great idea. Thanks for the tip. I never realized those sunglasses did that.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:58 AM

I tried to match a black fabric on a quilt I made. It was rough and I finally ended up making lots of changes in order to match everything. It was a headache trying to match the fabric and then a headache trying to fudge so that it did not look obvious that it was not a match. The next time, I purchased more than I needed but never again made the mistake of using my left over fabric anywhere that needed more than I had. Lesson learned.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:01 PM

Kona Black is my go-to black also. All of the Kona fabrics are really good!
Old 12-06-2013, 12:10 PM

This makes me so happy that I just "splurged" on an entire bolt of a black I really liked! Thanks for the heads up on the Multicolored colors!
Old 12-17-2013, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

I also like the michael miller blackck for its " blackness"

I have had cuts from several bolts - and they have all shrunk more than two inches in width after soaking the pieces in hot water.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:12 AM

I made the mistake of not ordering enough black for a quilt I was making, where the top was largely black, and getting a different fabric for the rest. (I have to buy everything online.) Yep, you could see the difference. If it was lots of blacks it would probably just have added texture, but it's two. https://www.threadbias.com/projects/flower-power-quilt Hopefully it won't be too obvious by the time it's quilted, since I'm going to do big stitch quilting in perle #8.

That said, I use textured blacks a lot of the time anyway. It tends to look more interesting and give more depth to the piece as a whole.

I'm puzzled by the people who are talking about colours being different - well, yes, of course they are! The only fixed colours are black and white, and that's only in theory, it doesn't really apply to fabric. Red can mean a multitude of things to different people. If you're matching colours, I have the Joen Wolfrom 3-in-1 Color Tool, which fits easily into a bag or pocket and is really useful for this purpose.