Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
White on white - how? >

White on white - how?

White on white - how?

Old 12-25-2013, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

I have a magnifying set for my Bernina and it helps to see hard to quilt colours. I recently quilted black thread on black fabric and had no trouble seeing it.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:43 PM

This happened to me a few days ago, so I switched from white thread to pale grey. It really doesn't appear any different, but at least I could see it!
Old 12-25-2013, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
www.superiorthreads.com are you listening? We need a colored thread that turns white when washed.
Awesome idea!!!!!!
Old 12-25-2013, 04:16 PM

I over came this problem by marking the white with a coloured line and worked in it. I use a coloured chalk on the black. Both were free motion so lines were free hand.
Worked great as it was a guide to follow. I also work in short 30 min time sections. This kept strain down
Old 12-25-2013, 08:31 PM
Power Poster

Here's a bit more info, but it looks like most of it was covered:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...d-t233206.html
Old 12-26-2013, 03:02 AM

If you could use a very, very faint tan thread or a very, very pale grey or blue thread, as previously suggested, you would be able to see the thread much better, and once completed, it would look like matching thread, but with more definition, as if you had used a loftier batt.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by mariatherese View Post
I apologize if this is a question which comes up often but I had no luck with the search engine.

What tricks do you have for quilting with white thread on white background? I'm going crazy trying to see my thread and where I've been. Stippling is almost impossible! I have an extra LED-light attached to the machine and there is plenty of light in the room but it's still difficult to see the thread. I also have perfect eye-sight so there should be no issues with this.

In my attempts I've used cotton thread on cotton fabric. Is there more contrast if I was to use poly thread instead? I have a twin size quilt on which I'd like to use a lot of stippling. It might get difficult...

Any tricks that you could share would be very much appreciated...

And Merry Christmas of course (in Sweden we celebrate on the night of the 24th so today is a bit like the day after).
God Jul to you. My father's parents came from Varmland, Sweden. I was always referred to as the Svenska Flicka. First granddaughter born, I guess!

I get my thread from Connecting Threads and they have sets of threads and if I am not mistaken there is a package of "whites" - ranging in color - (it comes in whites to black and pale pale tan to dark brown) For what it is worth. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Edie
Old 12-26-2013, 04:18 AM

I use a thread that is called corn silk on lot of light quilts or silver.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
www.superiorthreads.com are you listening? We need a colored thread that turns white when washed.
xcellent idea I was practicing feathers and thinking of some kind of light like a black lite or something tht would cast color on the stitches something like the light that looked for lice (ewe!) in hair I'm likeing your idea better
Old 12-26-2013, 04:39 AM

I had that problem with a dark brown thread on mostly darks, so I stippled from the back, which had a lighter side. Worked beautifully.