Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying Fabric >

Buying Fabric

Buying Fabric

Old 12-30-2013, 07:58 PM

Default Buying Fabric

I'm organizing my fabric for the new year. Some I have lots of and others I barely have a yard. When buying fabric just because you like it, how much do you buy?
Old 12-30-2013, 08:15 PM

I try to buy 3-4 yards. I used to just buy 1 yard but I find that harder to use. I also organize my fabric by size not by color. I do this because it is easier to find what i want once I know how much I need. I find that organizing it this way I am using more of my stash.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:03 PM

Hello Prekteacher, I asked this question a little while ago. Here's the answers I got. =) enjoy! http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...y-t229737.html
April
Old 12-30-2013, 09:13 PM

You'll probably hate this answer, but if you're like me, the best answer is "None." I still have essentially all of the fabric I've bought "for my stash." Somehow no quilt I plan is ever "right enough" for it. After realizing this, I've disciplined myself to buy fabric only for the quilt I'm about to make.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by sushi View Post
You'll probably hate this answer, but if you're like me, the best answer is "None." I still have essentially all of the fabric I've bought "for my stash." Somehow no quilt I plan is ever "right enough" for it. After realizing this, I've disciplined myself to buy fabric only for the quilt I'm about to make.
I find myself having similar issues.
I tried pulling from my stash for projects and then purchasing what I needed to fill in the gaps..but i found I got distracted by all the gorgeous options when I got in the store and bought more.
So. I have come up with a couple different ways to use my stash.
I did a Christmas string quilt...it came out fabulous! IMHO
I am doing Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt (just bought a few 1/4 yard cuts to ensure variety).
And, I decided to limit my 'stash' purchases to blues and 30's reproductions. I love blue and white quilts. And I love the reproduction prints. And, it seems to be working for me. I am actually pulling things from my stash. I buy anywhere from a 1/4 yd to 1 yd, depending on how much I like it!
For other projects, I purchase just what I need for that project, well..you know, plus a little extra.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Prekteacher View Post
I'm organizing my fabric for the new year. Some I have lots of and others I barely have a yard. When buying fabric just because you like it, how much do you buy?
2-4 yards if the price is right.

If I think I'll make a coordinated quilt (I bought some Dr. Seuss while in the states last summer), I bought a variety of prints--usually 1/2 yard because I bought several different ones--but that was at a high price (for me--about $10/yard)!
Old 12-31-2013, 04:24 AM

Since the majority of my quilting these days is for the Linus Project I usually purchase at least a yard of any childish print that is on sale. The other thing I purchase is bolts of solid color flannel for the backing of those quilts. The rest of my stash is mainly pieces of fleece that are at least 1 yard or more, also for Linus quilts.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:09 AM
Power Poster

I am using up my stash doing charity quilts. Since I am on a tight budget, I just buy usuallybright tonals that I need to finish a quilt top.