Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
cabinets or open shelves? >

cabinets or open shelves?

cabinets or open shelves?

Old 11-28-2013, 07:45 PM

That's what I did in my quilt room - 2nd largest bedroom in the house. The long wall has bookshelves from Ikea (Billy). In the center I went with a narrow one as I store all my books on that one -- and those shelves are HEAVY. The Ikea bookshelves are full of fabric, and not a sag anywhere, those are well built bookshelves. I love that they are white, as all I see are the fabric. I put double doors on each end bookshelf, just because I like the look of it -- they are glass doors. Love my fabric where I can see it. If I wanted to hide something I could put up paper on the glass doors I suppose, but my shelves are always neat. Not the rest of the room though!
Old 12-03-2013, 09:10 PM

Closed here, not due to fading or mess, but thanks to my cats. I used solid doors as I'm a klutz and frequently walk into things so glass at knee height would be a bad idea here.

IKEA has a metal drawer set up, Helmer I believe. That holds all my dangerous to cats items, plus excellent flat surface to lay my cutting mat on.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:29 PM

I hear worry that wood shelves would possibly stain fabric. Believe if painted or sealed would be safe. Any comments welcome.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:41 PM

Kris P --- I like your idea, no wonder I am over whelmed every time I go into my sewing room. I got to much color, clutter and clash bombarding me. It is time for me to RE-ORGANIZE my stash.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:07 AM

I love being able to see all of my fabrics so have open shelves, but I do worry about dust, and dog hair, especially on the lower shelves because my quilting buddy (1 y/o Jack-rat terrier) likes to hang out with me. I vacuum the dust and hair off when I vacuum the carpeted floor.

I also wonder about fading. My "fabric wall" is not exposed to any direct sunlight from the one small window. However, I do know that fluorescent lights will fade fabrics too, and I have daylight bulbs in all the fixtures/lamps in the room.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:05 PM

IKEA cabinets are OK for something like a craft room, where there isn't a lot of food and heat to damage the finishes. Personally, I would go with non-glass cabinet doors. I know...all that fabric is so pretty to look at, but fading and dust take their toll on those pretties. Plus, it all looks so neat and tidy when everything is behind a closed door. Hey...you can always open the door if you want to see the nice colors.

~ Cindy
Old 01-04-2014, 04:33 AM

I like having my fabric visible on open shelves, but have a serious "dust" problem due to the gravel road that runs in front of my home -- that stuff just comes right down the chimney. I found that I could use the heavy duty clear blanket bags made for use in a linen closet to store my cardboard wrapped fabric bolts on, and then sit them on the shelves. I have 2 of these bags that I filled with bolts of fabrics. I can now view the fabrics and the plastic isn't distracting and it keeps the dust off.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:43 PM

Beautiful beautiful beautiful!