Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hello, I'm Michelle and I'm a quiltaholic! >

Hello, I'm Michelle and I'm a quiltaholic!

Hello, I'm Michelle and I'm a quiltaholic!

Old 01-05-2014, 05:24 AM

Michelle,
The only place houswork comes before quilting is in the dictionary.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:27 AM

Clean? Company coming? Don't bother. He shops. He cooks half the time. I launder (its right beside the sewing machine) and I've trained my company to give me at least a days notice............then I clean.
HaHa.
MaryKatherine
Old 01-05-2014, 06:34 AM

Here's my theory. You can clean, cook and do all of that, and at the end of the day, it all needs done again. You can bake a beautiful cake or pie, prepare a fabulous meal, but it is eaten up and gone. You can't sit back and "admire" your accomplishment because it is fruitless. As for sewing and quilting, when you are done, you have something to show for it that will last for years and years - and maybe even get passed down to the next generation. Yes, we still have housework and cooking, but it is highly overrated, don't you think? ?
Old 01-05-2014, 06:37 AM

I used to wonder how my sister could sit at her machine and quilt for hours and hours. I retired and she helped me get started and agreed to mentor me. She gave me a stash of fabric many notions and tools. The rest is history. A year and one half later I get it. I am addicted. A once neat and clean freak now holds up in her quilting room. My husband has resorted to laundry, cooking and some cleaning. He likes that I'm busy and enjoying my new hobby. He's busy and I'm busy. Works for us. So glad to know I'm not alone.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:59 AM
SSK

I was going to start a thread on this but I guess this is a great place to ask the question. How many hours a day (or week) do you spend on housework? I find I get so behind on both housework and sewing. What is a good balance?
Old 01-05-2014, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by ladydukes View Post
Here's my theory. You can clean, cook and do all of that, and at the end of the day, it all needs done again. You can bake a beautiful cake or pie, prepare a fabulous meal, but it is eaten up and gone. You can't sit back and "admire" your accomplishment because it is fruitless. As for sewing and quilting, when you are done, you have something to show for it that will last for years and years - and maybe even get passed down to the next generation. Yes, we still have housework and cooking, but it is highly overrated, don't you think? ?
That is exactly how I feel about it. A clean house is nice, but it only lasts suchg a short while LOL.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:34 AM

I love to quilt and my sewing room was getting more cluttered, so I made a resolution. I need to clean out all the drawers and nooks and crannies, which I have been doing this week. I found several projects I had not finished so got them out to finish and I filled a shopping bag with old or double patterns and extra material and will be taking them to local guild meeting next week and some other things to thrift shop. I cleaned out four plastic bins and now I can walk through my sewing room and have two shelves almost empty. It pays to clean and get organized once in awhile. Happy New Year!
Old 01-05-2014, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by SSK View Post
I was going to start a thread on this but I guess this is a great place to ask the question. How many hours a day (or week) do you spend on housework? I find I get so behind on both housework and sewing. What is a good balance?
I think it depends on the house too. I moved to a rather new (10yr.) 2 bedroom appartment last year. Before I lived in a almost 70 yr old 3 bedroom house. The old house had wooden floors and ceilings, that created a lot of dust (between the downstairs ceiling and the upstairs foors was a 8 inch 'space', I once saw it during a repair and it was discusting to see how much dust etc. was in that space :-((, yuck).
This appartment is clean in a morning, and each week I give something a 'deep clean', like bathroom, windows, kitchen.
I do that, since I'm retired, on monday morning. That works best for me to 'force' myself to do it, or I'll keep thinking: tomorrow!!!.
On friday I do my grocery shopping and almost always buy fresh flowers. Before I put them in the livingroom I pull my vacuum cleaner around the house.
And that's it. The result is very acceptable IMHO and if a visitor doesn't agree, I'll show them where the cleaning stuff is LOL. :
Old 01-05-2014, 07:43 AM

Love your way of thinking,Tessigan!!!! I will be inviting Dixie, ziplock, & Mr Reynolds to my table also, so I have more time to sew, sew, sew,
Old 01-05-2014, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by ladydukes View Post
My sentiments EXACTLY! Well put.