Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Recycled shirts Pineapple quilt started >

Recycled shirts Pineapple quilt started

Recycled shirts Pineapple quilt started

Old 01-09-2014, 08:17 PM

Question: Are you cutting out all parts of a shirt? Or do you just use the back and two front parts? As the shirts are used and gently worn, do you do anything special for the fabric to have similar texture, etc. Starched, interfacing, etc.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:27 PM

I also save mens shirts. But I don't really look specifically for plaids. As long as they are 100 cotton. I also have been saving flannel shirts ( from family ). Don't have enough collected yet. I love the pineapple design. It's got me thinking, since I've wanted to do log cabin with the flannels.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:27 PM

I love your blocks made from the shirts! This is going to be an awesome quilt!
Old 01-10-2014, 04:26 AM

Wild, would you share how big these blocks are and the basic method you're using to construct the blocks? If you're using one of the pineapple rulers, which one, and why? I think a number of us would like to try one of these for ourselves!
Old 01-10-2014, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Wild8580 View Post
I cut 45 "dark" plaid shirts and 10"light" shirts plus 25 lights from my fabric stash and scraps. I didn't have many light shirts.
Thank you Wild8580!! This tells me I need to get out there are start finding more shirts!! I hate to bother you again, but could you tell us how wide your strips are cut to give us an idea of the size of your wonderful blocks? I might have missed how you are constructing your blocks and if I did, I apologize for the repeat question... but are you using foundation piecing? (I'm not really sure how to ask that question?) and just one more question... were your 25 lights fat quarters? Again... you clearly have inspired several of us with your creativity!! Thank you!!!
Old 01-10-2014, 04:43 AM

Oh Boy, this looks like fun! I can't wait to see the result when you are done
Old 01-10-2014, 05:46 AM

What a fantastic quilt this is going to be. May I ask which pineapple pattern you used? It's the perfect size for those plaids.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by ccthomas View Post
Question: Are you cutting out all parts of a shirt? Or do you just use the back and two front parts? As the shirts are used and gently worn, do you do anything special for the fabric to have similar texture, etc. Starched, interfacing, etc.
When I cut up the shirts, I try to salvage all useable parts. I cut the cuffs off at the seam lines and usually can get a 2 inch strip from them. If they are worn or have iron in fusible I throw away. The yokes are usually large chunks and I save these. After I cut, I iron and starch. I am using all different weights in this project. Some are wovens, some of truly have the feel of homespuns, some are a light weight denim; all are 100% cotton. For this project, i used the 2 fronts and 1 sleeve to get the quantity of strips I needed. From each shirt, I still have the back and one sleeve. I have a tub full of scraps from cutting in different shapes that I will cut into useable pieces before putting away. Every project generates more scraps whether using shirts or fabric. I guess that's why love scrap quilts.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:52 AM

That quilt is so cool! Great idea for recycling!
Old 01-10-2014, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by running1 View Post
Thank you Wild8580!! This tells me I need to get out there are start finding more shirts!! I hate to bother you again, but could you tell us how wide your strips are cut to give us an idea of the size of your wonderful blocks? I might have missed how you are constructing your blocks and if I did, I apologize for the repeat question... but are you using foundation piecing? (I'm not really sure how to ask that question?) and just one more question... were your 25 lights fat quarters?!

The pattern I'm using is from the book "Positively Pineapple" by Lynda Milligan and Nancy smith. They use a ruler I think they invented called Pineapple Rule. The strips are 1 1/2" wide in various sized except for the last row which is 4 1/4" wide. The center is a 2" finished square. You sew the rectangles similar to a courthouse step block and then use the ruler to trim the angles. I have the pineapple ruler but I only use it for the first go around. After that I just use my square rulers to square the blocks. You really don't need the pineapple ruler, but it has some good orientation lines especially for the square in the square. The finished block is 12".

For the lights I used fat quarters, scraps, and yardage. I have an accuquilt studio cutter and this was a real advantage to cutting. I cut the fabric in strips, 2 1/2"' 3 1/2", 5, 6, and then ran them through my 1 1/2" die. The last row for the darks is 4 1/4" x 7 1/2". I don't have the pattern in front of me but I think the lights have a 4 1/2 " 1 1/2" strip for the second row of lights.

I now have 12 blocks completed. I have made a note in the book if I make another pineapple quilt (this is my second one-the first one I only used yardage and 3 fabrics), I will cut over-sized triangles for the last row. Using the rectangles and trimming puts the bias on the outside edge. I am being careful not to stretch as I am pressing and the blocks will all be sewn in when I finish the quilt.
Thanks for all the comments. I am truly amazed at the response to this post.