Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your favorite white fabric? >

What is your favorite white fabric?

What is your favorite white fabric?

Old 01-13-2014, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Sheri.a View Post
I want to make a scrap quilt with white as the background, but the white fabric at my LQS seemed thin. I'm wondering what others use.

Thanks!!
I'm not a Kona fan as the quality is not dependable. Bella Moda all the way for solids quality and color choices . I buy neutrals on sale and have many fabric
choices to combine - I also love the sparkle of more fabrics.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by katkat1946 View Post
I know that LOTS of people love the Kona solids. They do offer a great variety of colors and the fabric has a nice hand but I don't like the way it looks coming out of the washer and drier. My preference is for white on white tonal but I've learned to really check them before buying. Some have such a heavily painted look/feel that they are stiff. It seems to need to be a sparse, light design. My suggestion would be to be sure to have swatches of your colors with you as the variety of tones is huge!
I find many of the "painted" white on white fabrics stiff and plastic looking so I use the wrong side of this fabric. I was making a quilt in a class at the fair and I can't tell you how many people stopped by just to tell me the fabric was upside down. I just smiled and said "I know". The quilt turned out great.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:27 PM

May I ask a stupid question? What do you mean by hand? I've seen that term before but not sure exactly what great hand means. Thanks!
Old 01-13-2014, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

"Hand" is the feel of the fabric and how it drapes. I find Kona solid black to have a very "meaty" hand -- a little too thick for my taste, and it shed lots of strings for me. Kona Snow and Kona White, though, along with Michael Miller's jet black, have a softer hand and a softer drape than Kona black (and navy blue, which I have also tried).
Old 01-13-2014, 01:54 PM

I like Kona Snow for my white fabrics.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:38 PM

I am enjoying all of the feedback. I had about decided on Kona Snow, but then I saw this from katkat1946 (plus a few other comments). Can you tell me what it is you do not like about the way Kona cotton looks after washing?

Originally Posted by katkat1946 View Post
I know that LOTS of people love the Kona solids. They do offer a great variety of colors and the fabric has a nice hand but I don't like the way it looks coming out of the washer and drier. My preference is for white on white tonal but I've learned to really check them before buying. Some have such a heavily painted look/feel that they are stiff. It seems to need to be a sparse, light design. My suggestion would be to be sure to have swatches of your colors with you as the variety of tones is huge!
Old 01-13-2014, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by jrhboxers View Post
Legacy Studio's Bleached. Comes in 4 different widths. Great hand and feel. On sale in the Joann flyer today. I am going to purchase another 90" bolt this afternoon.
I really like the Legacy as well also the Kona snow.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:05 AM

Kona Snow. I use it for everything!
Old 01-14-2014, 04:33 AM

I don't like plain white, actually I don't have any plain white fabric in my stash. I am totally partial to white on white, ecru on white, ecru on ecru and white on ecru. I use it mainly for sashing and sometimes in the sampler block. I used Moda black (solid) for an Amish quilt once and the darn stuff frayed like you wouldn't believe. I also don't particularly care for the hand on Moda. Mom taught me that!!!!!!!!

I bought three yards on white on ecru at JoAnn's on Sunday - 50% off. Not too shabby! I bought all my backing fabric there also. I have it all washed, dried, ironed and hanging on a hanger for when I need it. Yay for me!!!

Well, best get out and shovel - more snow. Edie
Old 01-14-2014, 06:03 AM
nls

Kona white or snow or Bella solids.