Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Do a Quilt Journal ? >

Do You Do a Quilt Journal ?

Do You Do a Quilt Journal ?

Old 01-15-2014, 05:17 PM

I take a photo of the finished quilt and write a note about the quilt: any special meaning, the story behind why I made it, who it went to, when it was completed and methods like hand-pieced, hand-quilted, machine-pieced, machine-quilted, etc. Sometimes I add a scrap of fabric or notes I made in the process if I changed up a pattern......a regular scrapbook. I like looking back at my history of quiltmaking.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:29 PM

I sort of do - I use Microsoft OneNote to track all of my quilts. I have a table that I use to track the quilt name, start date, finish date, and where it ended up (kept, or if given away who I gave it to). Then each quilt gets their own little section where I stick stuff like pattern info from EQ7 (since I make all my own patterns), sometimes scans of graph paper drawings, info about batting type, any special notes or techniques I tried, a photo or two of the finished quilt, etc.

I also have a separate chart where I track my work in progress...tick off when I've got pieces cut, when I've got the top built, when I've got the binding and backing prepped, when I got it sandwiched, bound, quilted, etc. So at a glance I can see how many projects I have in progress and how far I've gotten on each of them.

I like it, but I was really touched by being able to leaf through my grandmother's quilt journal. There's something special about having it on paper....maybe that's something the next generation(s) won't feel but it makes me want to do a paper version too.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:36 PM

Yes, I do. Just jot notes down everyday with the current quilt, what was done, and how long I worked on it for the day. I also take pictures of the quilts as I work. Then about every 6 months-8 months, I create a book or a calendar at the Snapfish or Shutterfly (when they run a really good special). That has pictures of all the quilts created during that time frame. Also, when my granddaughter was here from Kansas, she learned to quilt. I took pictures and made a book for her and one for me of her learning to quilt. She loved it! My calendar for 2014 has pictures on it of the quilts made in 2013. Kind of a great record for me. But again, only made when companies send me a terrific bargain special...gotta save money for fabric..ya know!
Old 01-15-2014, 06:18 PM

I converted an old blog for this purpose. I decided at the beginning of the year that I wanted to track my progress. I've always kept photos but never a journal until now. I just don't have the patience to write it all by hand. Lol
Old 01-15-2014, 06:24 PM
Power Poster

I have a flash drive with photographs, in progress, finished and even the labels of my quilts. I also have lists with titles of Quilt Descriptions, and Quilt Specifications. One tells pretty much what the other does with a difference of the descriptions one being full sentences, saying who I made it for or how I got the inspiration. I include the size, date completed, the name I gave it, and the number of the quilt. I am currently hand quilting number 120. I like keeping up with it. A hundred years from now, someone may be interested.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:44 PM

I bought myself a nice journal today with the intention of handwriting a journal of the ideas and quilts held currently. It is much too late to try to reconstruct many of the items made over the years. However, there are a few special quilts that I can recall having made for our grandchildren and children.

My goal is to record my interests and it doesn't have to be in chronological order. My mother taught me how to sew and this is a way I can convey information about her to my own daughter and granddaughters. Mom died over 50 years ago so my spouse and children never had the opportunity to meet her. This journal should be more personal than inheriting a mere box of misc. sewing notions.

I also like the idea of creating a book of photographs from Snapfish or Walgreens. Thanks for sharing!!! :-D
Old 01-15-2014, 06:55 PM

That is a great idea, I must start one....take pictures and fabric samples of the quilt that you made and who it was for. Just sorry I never thought of this sooner....thanks christyld60.