Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Funeral quilt >

Funeral quilt

Funeral quilt

Old 01-20-2014, 06:24 PM

I also want to make a quilt with a cross to put in the coffin instead of flowers, Flowers are way to pricey. I will make my own and embr. in it wife mother, mamaw sister friend and they my family can have it as a keepsake. that is my thought does that sound to morbid to thin k about I am 56 and r not going to live forever but that is what I want so no money will be wasted on flowers for they died or collect dust. So what"ca think? crazy or practical.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:48 AM

My Mother made Yo-Yo's from the ribbon on my Father's flowrs. She then made a pillow top from them. He died in 1961 and then are still whole. Must have gotten a lot better ribbon in the olden days, than we do today.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:01 AM

Thanks for sharing, a place I would be interested in touring. and by the way, have you ever seen the old hearst on display at a funeral home in Dallas? They are so interesting. They also have some old ones on display in Gainesville, fl.
My brother is a funeral director and that is a good idea to have a quilt to cover the body bag when doing home removals.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:07 AM

My husband passed away in March, 2013 and I used a quilt that I made for him for our 45th wedding anniversary. It told of all the places we had been, where our roots were and where our parents came from. It the bottom right corner was a hand embroidered design that I made of the Little Brown Church in the Vale where we were married. It meant a lot to him when he was alive (it was a coverlet size - 52x80) and I treasure it more so now. When we went to Fort Snelling, the quilt was removed and the flag covered his coffin.

My mother passed away in July, 2013 and we placed one of the many quilts she had made and we displayed on the table. It was her favorite quilt and that too was very comforting to my two sisters and I. I, now at age 75, know what quilt I want on my coffin. It is my memory quilt - took me over two years of work to make it and I am exceedingly proud of it. It was the first one I ever made also. Also, Snow, it is not morbid. We got so many compliments of the way Mom's quilt were displayed and even the minister commented on the quilt that was covering the lower half of my husband's coffin. I want my memory quilt to go to my granddaughter and the memory quilt of my husband's to go to my grandson. As I sat at both funerals, just seeing them there gave me such peace and comfort.

Edie
Old 01-21-2014, 04:13 AM

What a wonderful idea both concepts I would make small quilts for my children to be laid on my casket and given to them afterwards. I already have 7,348 projects ready to do but these may take a priority. Thanks
Old 01-21-2014, 04:53 AM

Thank you all for your inquiries into my dating Junior. I live in Houston, he lives in Louisiana and we plan to connect every weekend. He swears up and down he doesn't mind the 3-1/2 hour drive, although I hate to put it on him, what with the price of gas and all. And if this doesn't melt your heart, nothing will: He told me to post this, from him: "To be close by your side and see you smile and hear your laugh, there's no place on this earth I would not go with you." Awww...he's a keeper! The first time he came out, I told him beforehand that I was working on a quilt and had a deadline I needed to meet, so I would understand if he wanted to wait until the following weekend. Nope, he came out anyway and we talked while I sewed (we met first in a neutral location until I was comfortable enough wtih him to have him in my home) and he even helped hold things into place while I pinned! Guess what he's getting for his April birthday!
Old 01-21-2014, 05:07 AM

I have one quilt put aside to cover my coffin...I love it and don't want wasteful, expensive flowers. My daughters have their orders about it and love the idea.... Hubby says He thinks it's weird but fine with him. Hell, HE won't be there, he's going first if I have anything to say about it.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:19 AM

Several years ago I was at a quilt show where part of the display was a quilt a woman made to be displayed on her casket at her funeral. It was gorgeous, but I don't know how I'd feel making somethign like that...
Old 01-21-2014, 05:33 AM

Once, long ago I had a quilt that needed new binding on the top. I didn't have any binding scraps or much of anything to make some so I used a piece of that floral ribbon. What I found out was that it wears quite well if you are careful to secure all the edges but it ravels like crazy if you miss a spot. Worked well in a pinch!
Old 01-21-2014, 05:34 AM

Prissnboot, if he makes you laugh...that's so important. Sounds like a good guy. Be cautious and good luck!