Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Funeral quilt >

Funeral quilt

Funeral quilt

Old 01-21-2014, 05:54 AM

I think this might be the type of quilt that would be used for display and not actual every day use. Therefore, washing would not be a factor. Perhaps it was draped over a display table with mementos of the decease person.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:57 AM

Love how this thread has gone from admiring the quilt... to destinations for dates... to funeral traditions... to dating advise!
Old 01-21-2014, 06:07 AM

Very interesting concept from the 20's. I would not imagine that this quilt was washed much be rather used as a rememberance of the deceased such as a piece of jewelry made from hair was made in the vicitorion area. .
Old 01-21-2014, 06:16 AM

Default Ribbon pillows

My great aunt made woven pillows out of the funeral ribbon. As a child I can remember her giving one to my Mom. I thought they were kind of weird, but she always made them for people. She was truly the embodiment of reuse, repurpose. My sister, Mom, and I all have hand pieced quilt tops made of our old play clothes. Someday I will quilt them.http://www.quiltingboard.com/attachm...den-gate-1.jpg

QUOTE=Prissnboot;6523025]Hi, I went to the National Museum of Funeral History in Houston yesterday - something I've always wanted to do, and what an interesting thing to do for a second date as well!

Anyway, imagine my surprise to see a quilt there, of all things, and I thought people here may find it interesting.

This is what the information posted next to it said:

"This mourning quilt was made in the 1920s from the different color floral ribbons attached to the flower baskets, which were sent by family and friends of the deceased to the funeral service.

"The funeral director would remove the floral ribbons from the flower baskets after the funeral service and give them to the family. Usually the family members of the deceased would sew the floral ribbons together and a fabric backing was added.

"The mourning floral ribbon quilt served two purposes, to keep the family members warm at home and also a rememberance of the deceased.

"There are very few floral ribbons mourning quilts in existance today, because of the deterioration of the ribbon fabric over the years."[/QUOTE]
Old 01-21-2014, 06:37 AM

My grandmother made a quilt from the ribbons from grand dads flowers. He passed away in 1956. I still have the quilt.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:38 AM

I have heard of these but not what they were made of Thanks for sharing
Old 01-21-2014, 07:08 AM

My grandmother made pillow tops from grandpas flower ribbons way back in 1962 . Don't know what ever happened to them. Would love to have one now.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Pinklady View Post
My grandmother made a quilt from the ribbons from grand dads flowers. He passed away in 1956. I still have the quilt.
Can you post a picture?
Old 01-21-2014, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Prissnboot View Post
Thank you all for your inquiries into my dating Junior. I live in Houston, he lives in Louisiana and we plan to connect every weekend. He swears up and down he doesn't mind the 3-1/2 hour drive, although I hate to put it on him, what with the price of gas and all. And if this doesn't melt your heart, nothing will: He told me to post this, from him: "To be close by your side and see you smile and hear your laugh, there's no place on this earth I would not go with you." Awww...he's a keeper! The first time he came out, I told him beforehand that I was working on a quilt and had a deadline I needed to meet, so I would understand if he wanted to wait until the following weekend. Nope, he came out anyway and we talked while I sewed (we met first in a neutral location until I was comfortable enough wtih him to have him in my home) and he even helped hold things into place while I pinned! Guess what he's getting for his April birthday!
Your experience to date with Junior sounds like the makings for a wonderful romance novel (or actually an autobiography in the works). The unique dates and evolving relationship would be an intriguing story to enjoy. Best wishes for you!
Old 01-21-2014, 07:43 AM

That was interesting. Flowers are pretty but they only last a few days. This makes a nice keepsake.