Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Wanting a Featherweight...tips on where to buy so I don't buy a lemon? >

Wanting a Featherweight...tips on where to buy so I don't buy a lemon?

Wanting a Featherweight...tips on where to buy so I don't buy a lemon?

Old 01-25-2014, 04:33 PM

There's a store in Seattle (maybe others will chime in here about this) that is not a quilting store, but has the front windows lined top to bottom with old sewing machines. I saw it in a magazine. Dunno where it is in Seattle, but maybe folks at that store would know where you could look. Ask at the quilt shops in your area and see what they think. Good luck on your quest.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:26 PM

There is also a similar store in Miami Beach that has 373 machines displayed. It is actually a clothing store for the younger set. Few yrs ago we hunted it down. Since we are on the west coast we had a lovely day trip.
Heard most of them came from England and I wrote about it then. Interesting but most of them we couldn't get
close enough to see if all the parts were even there.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:09 PM

I can personally recommend fellow QB member Cynthia and her husband Darwin. They came to my rescue when I ordered a FW from Canada and it got stuck in customs...and I had to cancel the order. Only positive things to say about the Bowsers. In fact, my neighbor also bought her FW from them.

If you are interested in their email address, please send me PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:24 PM

The clothing stores are called All Saints something. Amazing displays of sewing machines bolted to wall high shelving. Awesome and saddening when I look in the internet.

I hope you find the FW of your dreams, maybe from someone here. It's hard to shop when you can't test drive one for yourself. Prices vary a lot by location and lunacy. Blacks are the most common, whites less so, then tan, and finally the rare 222 for a queens ransom. Just remember they have many interchangeable parts, like old VWs, so balance completeness with the price of repairs. The problem is the secondary parts market is quite inflated- for example a bobbin case at $45. I acquired several FWs over the past 10 years, but haven't really gone over any but the one I use. I'm not an expert by any means- had this one checked over by a shop for about $45 years ago which included a light surface cleaning and removing a thread jam behind the race hook assembly. Will get them out in a few weeks to see what's what. I've since learned a lot about the FWs from books and good folks on this site. Good machines are easier to find than good cases. I use a nice swivel wheeled luggage case. Machine in the bottom, padded by the fabrics I'll be using for the sew-ins. I wasn't a FW lover, but they've grown on me. Good luck.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by sassysews2 View Post
do you know anyone in Tacoma or how far away are you? There's an ad at shopgoodwill.com for a featherweight 1952 model for $19.95 with no bidders but it has to be picked up. Put a notice on this board on 24th but hasn't shown up yet. Bidding is good thru 2/2. Would be like finding gold to snag this one. Looks like its in good condition.
I have bought three 221's from Goodwill ( Tacoma ) and I'm restoring them. I use one and I'm working on the other two. By the way, $19.95 today will turn into at least $150.00 by the time the auction is done. I don't think we are allowed to advertise things for sale on this board but, I'd be willing to sell one.

I live in Renton and would like to talk to you.

Last edited by Bobquilts; 01-26-2014 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Added text.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:11 PM

I know a guy who has one and ready to sew he own his own sewing shop sold Brothers machine I bough one from him but he is retired now but i still take my problems to him he now plays around with the machines in his garage If u r interested Pm me and I will give u his # lives in ohio.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:56 AM

I have a featherweight that I want to sell. I am trying to downsize. I 8 sewing machine and a serger and starting to sell some of them and the featherweight is first. Where do
y
o
u

l
I
v
e
Old 01-29-2014, 08:21 AM

Joe Carson in Vancouver,Wa. Has great ones.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:22 AM

Thanks so much for all the thoughtful replies and messages! I've got some work to do looking through the suggestions. I guess my main hesitation is that I've never sewn on one or even, for sure, seen one in person. I learned on an old Singer cabinet machine, but I know it wasn't a FW.

I've been to the All Saints Store. At first I was amazed by the sewing machines, then saddened that they won't get to sew anymore. Their clothes are ... interesting and the sizing is for the very thin.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:27 PM

If you have never seen a FW or sewn on one, I recommend that you try one out before you buy one. Then you will know if it is a good fit. I have one and like it ok, but I love my 301 -- just a better fit for my height and vision.