Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Eleanor Burns book should I buy? >

What Eleanor Burns book should I buy?

What Eleanor Burns book should I buy?

Old 01-31-2014, 09:12 AM

My sister had never quilted and I walked her through doing the Log cabin quilt in a day. She did a QUEEN size for her first quilt. Amazing. EB's directions are so nice and easy. Enjoy!!
Old 01-31-2014, 09:17 AM

I have used both her Victory Quilts and Still Stripping Books for blocks etc. Vimeo also has 296 videos of Quilts in a Day, and youtube has a few as well.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:19 AM

I have done a lot of Eleanor's quilts and love how easily they go together. Here is the link to her media site. Enjoy I always do. And good luck with your search for one of her books. I have often thought of buying one of her books but can't decide which one to get. So I have yet to purchase one.

http://www.quiltinaday.com/theater/library.html
Old 01-31-2014, 10:51 AM

I believe Missouri Star Quilting has a tute on flying geese using her method and rulers.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
Jcrow, you will love her geese ruler! I have always made geese with a wonky right wing until that ruler. It was a great purchase for me.
I agree. Mind were wonky before I tried her method. My favorite book of her is STILL STRIPPING AFTER 25 YEARS. She also has a book on famous American women. She teaches the flying geese method in that book along with other methods. You may want to search you cable box for QUILTS and she if her PBS programs are available. Have Fun !!
Old 01-31-2014, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

I love Eleanor Burns, I think she is one of the most down to earth and funny quilt teacher out there - I wish I could someday take one of her classes, but I will settle for watching her lessons on her Quilt in a Day site. I have a few of her books and patterns, including Egg Money Quilts and Still Stripping after all these years and many of the quilts I have made over the years are from her patterns/books. If I remember correctly, you can go on Connecting Threads, which show you the contents of many quilt books, and believe some of her books are sold there. Watching her videos on her site also gives us access to her quilts and teaching methods, which I find very easy to follow. Hope this helps.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:33 AM
Power Poster

It is also okay to not fall completely in love with eleanor burns or her methods.

With experience, most of us have learned techniques from many others. One style does not fit all!
Old 01-31-2014, 02:57 PM

Hi Jeanne,
A great question, imho!
I've been quilting for years and heard EB's name alot but never pursued trying her techniques until about a year ago. And that was only because I'd tried her Flying Geese rulers and fell in love w them! Her tools are helpful to me, not gimmicky. It's only been recently that I found the free videos. She's a bright woman and I enjoy using her cutting and piecing techniques. I design many of my own quilts and while many may consider her a 'traditional' quilter, I find her techniques know no boundaries.
Aside from the 2 FG rulers, I also own (and use often) her Triangle Square Up ruler, used to make half square and quarter square triangles.
I belong to a guild and just this month took 2 of her books out of the library: Still Strippin' after 25 years, and Egg Money Baskets, the latter which I look forward to perusing I have a few of her older books and not too long ago, bought her book on American First Ladies, which I thoroughly enjoy

Happy quilting~
Jae

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I knew her name and that she has a lot of books, and lots of quilters like her, but I never checked her out. Had no reason to. So glad I did today. I wish I would have tried her flying geese method years ago. I have a hard time with FG. Her way seems easy. I just put in my cart her small flying geese ruler. I'm reading about her different books. But so far I think I'm going to find the Egg Money quilt book. Thanks to you who helped me. And thanks for not making me feel stupid that I didn't know anything about her. I was afraid to ask this question because I was afraid I would look a fool.

Last edited by Colorful1; 01-31-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Pattycakes View Post
I have done a lot of Eleanor's quilts and love how easily they go together. Here is the link to her media site. Enjoy I always do. And good luck with your search for one of her books. I have often thought of buying one of her books but can't decide which one to get. So I have yet to purchase one.

http://www.quiltinaday.com/theater/library.html

I've watched many of these videos in the past but haven't seen them all. I think it is very generous of her to keep these accessible online for free. I really like several of the quilts in the Seasons series. If you watch some of these you might find the book you'd like to purchase.

Here's the link from Missouri Star Quilt Co. to using Eleanor's flying geese. I do use her flying geese rulers and like the results.
http://quiltingtutorials.com/browse-...quilting-easy/

And some other video demos of the ruler for flying geese
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...CDC6771F728087

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...9F6C09C4EF4E1A
Old 01-31-2014, 05:35 PM

Oh my goodness, I LOVE Eleanor Burns! She has so many books on just one type of quilt (like log cabin or flying geese), and those are so comprehensive and easy to follow. I love her "Still Stripping After 25 Years" book, but they're all fabulous. I buy my books used on Amazon. You can get such good deals and I've always been satisfied with the quality of the used books. This way you could get more than one book! I love watching her on TV while I'm quilting. It's like having a good friend there to sew with!