Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
marking your quilts >

marking your quilts

marking your quilts

Old 01-30-2014, 03:18 PM

If I am marking a quilt and plan to wash it before gifting I use Crayola washable markers. I have never had a problem with them not washing out
Old 01-30-2014, 03:50 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I use:
blue painters tape
Tailors Chalks _ pink/wht/blue
Graphite pencil
Pounce Pad and chalks
Mechanical lead pencils - only for MY using around the house quilts.. washes out but still wont use if gift giving
F&P white Mechanical Pencil
Washable Markers..

just depends on what im marking on and for what use the quilt holds..
Old 02-01-2014, 04:37 AM

I discovered the Crayola washable markers a while back, but I also use regular white chalkboard chalk. I ALWAYS wash my quilts when I am finished with the quilting and binding, and I've never had any trouble with the marks disappearing in the washer and dryer.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:46 AM

I have been wondering about the Crayola washable markers. I just bought a clover pink marker and have not used it yet. I can't believe how nervous I am to try it. I will try it today and pray it will come out. I am sure it will since many do use them.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:08 AM

I often cut stencils out of plastic or light cardboard (tissue boxes) and use double-stick tape to hold down as I sew around them. These are usually inserted into large meanders, so I quilt around one, meander away, and move the stencil to where I want to use it again.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:27 AM

Marking quilts is the most concerning of all the processes involved in making a quilt because it comes at the end of the process and can be the most 'dangerous'. I have had good success with chalk pencils and chalk based mechanical pencils. I also have used the washable Crayola markers. I know some who use Frixion pens-even some nationally known teachers-but I am scared of them because a residue is left even if you wash your quilt and no one knows what the future holds. For me, it is not worth the risk so I don't use them. Rather than the Golden threads paper I used a vellum like paper that I get at the office supply store that comes on a roll that is 12 inches wide It is economical. I have also used rolls of paper that I got at the medical supply store.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:49 AM

I use the disappearing ink pens a lot. But you have to sew them before they disappear.
Have tried many different things also and do use stencils some times.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:38 AM

I love the Golden Threads paper. I mark my design with a mechanical pencil and pin it to my quilt. I also wear the Machinger gloves so I do get graphite from the pencil on the gloves. So far, I have not transferred any of that on a quilt top but I have a 2nd pair that I can change into when I'm back working on the fabric.
I have been burnt too many times with marking pencils that do not come out even with testing them first. I also like the Bohn marking pencils but have not used them much for marking quilt tops.
Thanks for the video.....it was interesting.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:19 PM

I am a hand quilter and I trace my design on pelon's wash away interfacing, baste it to my quilt top with either spray basting or glue stick. You only need to baste around the edges, you can also pin baste . I did a wedding gift using this method and now use it all yhe time. I did a huge feather heart design using this method and it was very easy to hand stitch thru. Just be sure it is not the pelon that feels like plastic, there are two differet kind. I traced the design on a plain sheet of paper then took it to a blue print shop and had them enlarge it on their paper to the size I wanted then retraced on the pelon. I over lapped the pelon a little in some places and taped it together before tracing. I went to the blueprint shop as it would cost a fortune to have it done at a copy store and they were unable to get it on a single sheet and you would need to tape all the sheets together like a puzzle. I also do a lot of red work embroidery and use the pelon in the same way. When finished it just washes out, however I cut away the excess pelon first.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:02 PM

I have used cash register tape to create my border designs, since it is already narrow and you fold for the repeats just as she did.