Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
marking your quilts >

marking your quilts

marking your quilts

Old 02-01-2014, 07:54 PM

I recently learned of a new pen put out by Pilot called Frixion. They are a fine pointed gel pen and to remove the markings you have made all you need to do is set a warm iron on it. All the color disappears immediately. They come in many colors and are about $2.50 each. I purchased mine at a Staples store. I use plastic stencils and it worked wonderful.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by meant2be View Post
I recently learned of a new pen put out by Pilot called Frixion. They are a fine pointed gel pen and to remove the markings you have made all you need to do is set a warm iron on it. All the color disappears immediately. They come in many colors and are about $2.50 each. I purchased mine at a Staples store. I use plastic stencils and it worked wonderful.
Ditto on the Frixion pens. I've been using them for over two years now with never a problem. I love them and wouldn't use anything else.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:33 PM

Michelle, thanks for the link. I watched nearly all of her videos and learned a lot. Even if you decide not to buy any of the products, the information is valuable. Thanks to the other posters for the additional methods shared.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:25 PM

I had a border which was having a twisted design I used the izal toilet roll. I marked the twist by sewing holes with no thread in machine then pinned in place and sewed down the holes using thread. Removing paper with a spritz of water then tear.
Could use holes to chalk. Very useful if trying to fit twist between set points.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:23 AM

I'll never use any kind of 'disappearing' pen again. When I first started quilting, about 30 years ago, I used such a purple pen (don't know the brand anymore), although my mother warned me. No problem in the first years, but I guess it was about 15 years later that it became obvious that over time the invisible residu had literally eaten away the fabric.
I only use tape, chalk, soap slivers or sometimes an aquarel pencil of a good brand like Faber-Castell. No magically disappearing stuff anymore.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by judykay View Post
I am a hand quilter and I trace my design on pelon's wash away interfacing, baste it to my quilt top with either spray basting or glue stick. You only need to baste around the edges, you can also pin baste . I did a wedding gift using this method and now use it all yhe time. I did a huge feather heart design using this method and it was very easy to hand stitch thru. Just be sure it is not the pelon that feels like plastic, there are two differet kind. I traced the design on a plain sheet of paper then took it to a blue print shop and had them enlarge it on their paper to the size I wanted then retraced on the pelon. I over lapped the pelon a little in some places and taped it together before tracing. I went to the blueprint shop as it would cost a fortune to have it done at a copy store and they were unable to get it on a single sheet and you would need to tape all the sheets together like a puzzle. I also do a lot of red work embroidery and use the pelon in the same way. When finished it just washes out, however I cut away the excess pelon first.
I hand quilt too, so I really appreciate you sharing this marking tip. Thanks so much. Love this board!!!!!!