Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
now what >

now what

now what

Old 01-31-2014, 10:58 AM
Power Poster

Don't get discouraged, we've all had days like that, where nothing much seems to be going right, but don't give up. Put the quilt top away for a day or two, start another project or just walk away. When you come back you will have a fresh perspective. Also, if you feel you're not making much progress, try to take a class, even if it might be something you've done before. I have yet to take a class where I have not learned some wonderful trick, a twist on an old block, something, and that makes it worth taking the class.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:19 AM
Power Poster

If tour seams are matching up right, there might be isdues with now you are pressing as you go long.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:03 PM

I've had a day like that! Trying to make a log cabin quilt, but every block I finish is off the true.

My hubby tries to reassure that is just a hobby, but---
Old 01-31-2014, 01:42 PM

Hang in there ... I've been at for about 7 years and am FAR from perfect but still enjoy the process and at the age of 75 have become addicted. I realize that I will never be perfect ... but I'm getting better with each quilt and that is satisfying.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:49 PM

No matter how many quilts I make or perfect the top is or how neat they are quilted, I can't bind neatly. Have never gotten all 4 corners neat so don't feel bad on your issue. I bet your quilt is beautiful and maybe you are just your own worst critic. Post a picture.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:11 PM

I have been quilting for 30+ years and still have patterns that stump me and try my patience. I think that it is time to put that project aside and tackle it again when your patience isn't as stretched out as it is now. I have had a quilt or two that I put aside and then gave away because I did not want to face it again. One I remember.....I put this 'simple' quilt together two times and could not get it right. I tooks the quite blocks apart and donated them to a quilt shop where volunteer make charity quilts. Guess what......THEY COULDN'T GET IT TOGETHER RIGHT EITHER.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:11 PM

I think I'll always be less than perfect, at quilting and in all other ways. I'm beginning to feel like that's okay. Even though I've never made a perfect quilt, sometimes they really do get better (though I'm amazed at the things I still screw up!). Anyway, even though my quilts are often lacking, I'll continue. There's still the pleasure of making something that is useful and often pretty! Plus, there's that whole stash and ufo thing that has to be dealt with!
Old 01-31-2014, 10:23 PM

Yes, I would guess all crafters feel the way you are feeling right now more often than we'd like to. I feel that way every time I start a new project, then I fiddle with it. Get the hang of it a bit better ...and then make more mistakes.... I usually tell myself after the project is finished and quilted all the imperfections fade out. Then I think of those quilters who intentionally put a mistake in each project just so they can remember they are not perfect!! Well, no need for that here! Piecing may not be your strongest suit, mine either. But I am better at other things.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:48 PM

I still have problems, been piecing and quilting since 2005. My biggest problem has been that I try to sew fast because I want to hurry and get the top pieced so I can get it quilted. When I slowed down my sewing about half, my 1/4 inch seams are MUCH more consistent. Along with nesting and pinning where seams join AND last but not least, squaring up my blocks as I go. Still not perfect, but I am happy now. Every little tip you get from friends and teachers is gonna make you better and happier!
Old 02-03-2014, 03:37 PM

A lot. Hang in there.
Dodee