Featherweight not working

Old 02-01-2014, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
That's what I was thinking too.

If this is the problem, the last 3 photos on this page address what Jassinc6 is referring to:
http://thefeatherweight221factory.co...MachineJam.php
Thanks for the link. I did go look and what I can't figure out is that I'm doing what it says and that little finger thing on the bobbin is in the up position, but when I put the throat plate back on it looks like it is getting stuck in between the springs on the throat plate. It won't move at all with the throat plate on.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:46 PM

Exactly! That's what you want!
Old 02-02-2014, 08:21 AM

That little 'finger' isn't suppose to move. If it does, nothing works right.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:57 AM

Ok then why won't things work anyway? The "finger" ,I don't know what it's called, is in the right position, I guess. It's where the pictures show it's supposed to be. But the wheel won't turn with the throat plate in place. Does it make a difference that I don't have a bobbin in the bobbin case?
I'm sorry to keep asking questions, but I would really like to get my machine working. Gina
Old 02-02-2014, 12:17 PM

No, the handwheel and needle should move without the bobbincase in place. The needle thread will likely hang up on the "center pin" where the bobbincase sits, but otherwise it doesn't care if that case is in place.

Are you able to post some photos? The hook area, the feed dogs, the feed dogs striking the needle plate anything that looks "wrong" to you. That way we all can see what's going on. I think it was oldsewnsew who posted a bunch of questions back on the first page. If we know the answers to those questions, we might have a better idea of where to guide you.

When you say the wheel doesn't move the needle, I see three different scenarios, each of which is treated differently.

1. Clutch knob is in "bobbin winding" mode.
2. Machine is bound up likely with thread behind the hook base, and likely the whole of the link that I posted should be gone through step by step.
3. Perhaps the handwheel can be turned, but the motor does not turn the wheel. If so, it's likely the belt needing to be tightened. Does the handwheel turn at all? wiggles a little back an forth but no actual motion? Turns smoothly or is a little reluctant?

All of these things have been suggested, but we don't really know what you've tried (besides adjusting the feed dogs) or what the actual symptoms are beyond "wheel doesn't move needle". This is akin to me to a "general car fault" - troubleshooting is possible, but not fast without more details.

I know it probably seems we're asking a lot of questions and for a lot of clarification, but it's how we "see" the problem without visuals or being there.

Featherweights are very simple machines, they don't have a lot go wrong with them. It will work, but it will take a little time to figure out what's wrong. Truthfully, the diagnostic time is always longer than the repair time.

I sincerely doubt the feed dogs themselves are at fault, I think it's something else, but with a clear photo, maybe we can help you rule that out for sure?
Old 02-02-2014, 12:26 PM

ThAnk you for answers me. I will get some pictures posted. To answer some questions ; the motor runs the needle perfectly. The problem I have is that when I put the throat plate on,all movement stops. The hand wheel will not turn at all. I have the finger where it needs to be, but that doesn't solve the problem. Going back to the link that I was provided, I am attempting to take the bobbin case out to see if there is thread jammed in there. I'm having a hard time doing that. Not sure if I'll be able to.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:09 PM

With the needle plate off, turn the hand wheel and watch that "finger".
What does it do? Does it spin around, or does it stay mostly in the same spot? What happens if you grab it gently with your fingers (basically, you act as a needleplate as far as the finger is concerned)
while trying to turn the handwheel? Does it try to rotate out of your fingers, or does it stay put in your fingers?

Are you having trouble taking the bobbin case out, or the gib screw and the bobbin case base out? (The photos on the link I gave you will show you what each of these parts are.) If you can't get the bobbin case out, that's a completely different issue.

BTW, be very careful with the gib screw. The second they're removed from a machine, they tend to grow wings and disappear.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:31 PM

I want to say thank you to all who responded to me and to that link ArchaicArcane sent me. I decided to try to take the bobbin case base out. It took quite a while, but finally got it out. It was stuck and after I cleaned it and oiled it, it started to turn with in the case. That was why the needle would not work when the throat plate was on.
So glad to have it working. No w I just need a bobbin case and I can start sewing.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:33 PM

I'm glad you're up and running!