Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thank goodness for my local library! >

Thank goodness for my local library!

Thank goodness for my local library!

Old 02-10-2014, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Several of my quilting friends meet once a week in the meeting room of our library. We sew all day. The tables are so handy for lay outs and basting. The room is free so take advantage of it. We had our day put on the schedule so it's always available for us.

A small group of us also meet at out local library once a month, but they have mentioned that other groups who have a standing reservation usually donate $100-150.....we are thinking of either having a quilt show demo one of the months or find a free space....I thought are taxes would be sufficient dues.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Several of my quilting friends meet once a week in the meeting room of our library. We sew all day. The tables are so handy for lay outs and basting. The room is free so take advantage of it. We had our day put on the schedule so it's always available for us.
How nice and a lot of fun!
Old 02-10-2014, 10:09 AM

wow-great idea.I spent many hours on the floor in the pre-long arm days.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:04 PM
Jim

we have a great quilting group that meets on a schedule at our library. We have classes, make charity quilts and other projects. Mostly we work on our own projects and share our talents. our entire library system is great. They have something going everyday for all ages making sure to incorporate the interests of everyone.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:31 PM

A lot of places are "asking" for donations to help with budget gaps. Our schools have fees by the hour to cover heat, light, custodial, etc so they are rarely used by the public, though we pay Very high school taxes. My Guild meets at a VFW and a large portion of our $25 dues and a raffle quilt's proceeds are given annually. This helps with the heating and utility bills, provides funds toward ceiling fans, new steps, and other items needed. In addition we buy new tables piece by piece. When pinning I slide a large cutting mat along underneath but many folks don't and the tables are very damaged. If using a public space it is wise to be sensitive to the patrons and facilities or access could be revoked and denied for other groups.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:15 PM

If you have a local fire dept with a meeting hall, you might want to check with them as well. Might want a small fee but you might have more space to work as well.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:22 PM
Power Poster

I always did mine there b4 I got my condo. also great for computr use, used theirs for free with printouts till last august. they have great rooms and tables. ours even has a fireplace, café, recliners, headphones, and separate smaller rooms for meetings with conference tables that will hold a king size perfectly.
My library has 4 floors of greatness, die cut machines, magazines overhead projecters, fishing poles and bikes to take out along with the magazines and newspaper and paintings and such

Last edited by lynnie; 02-10-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:56 PM

I never thought of using the library's meeting room. My husband and I are moving to a senior community next month, and they have a craft/quilt room. I can't wait to check it out!
Old 02-10-2014, 04:58 PM

Never thought of using my library!! I use elmer glue so I should be ok! :-)
Old 02-10-2014, 05:11 PM

I once sandwiched a quilt on the floor of the fire station on a day when the trucks were out at drill! Gotta love small towns.

Anita